PDA

View Full Version : Can't open file

jmenche
08-22-2006, 07:59 AM
Howdy,

We keep having problems getting workbooks from one of our clients. Does anybody know why this is? We are running Excel 2003.

:beerchug:

jmenche
08-22-2006, 08:08 AM
The problem might be that our client is technically European. I don't know if they have a Euro version of Office.

lucas
08-22-2006, 08:09 AM
I don't think they are saving it as an excel format. Or they are using a different application and renaming it as an excel file.

I would call them and ask them to walk you through saving one of thier files...first make sure its excel.

jungix
08-22-2006, 08:26 AM
I don't know if it has anything to do with this, but be careful when you use a European version of Excel: the decimal numbers are with "," not "." and that will cause all your numerical operations to fail.

lucas
08-22-2006, 08:34 AM
It looks like code when you open it....

Jan Karel Pieterse
08-23-2006, 05:45 AM
There is hardly any difference between any International version of an Excel file, they can ALL be opened with any language version of Excel.

There are two areas that sometimes cause trouble:

- Analysis Toolpak functions (these stay in their native language)
- Some workbook protection schemes are different in France IIRC, making them impossible to open with a non-French Excel version or vice versa.

ALL numbers should convert seemlessly. You can easily test this by changing your regional settings on your system to e.g. a decimal , iso the period and then opening one of your own spreadsheets.