PDA

View Full Version : How to retrieve data from web form and import it into a macro automatically?

ceevicee
08-24-2006, 11:01 AM
Hello,

firstly I would like to thank you for reading my question. I'm not a profi in programming in Excel, so if there is any mistake in my question, please let me know, thanks.

I have a webpage with a form, where user can enter their login info and a location number.

- Based on these information I would like the location number to be fed into a Macro, when the user was authorized. The Macro then extract required information and give it back as txt-file ( this Macro is already written).
- The result txt-file need to be convert to an excel file and be availabe on web for downloading.
- -> All of this process must be automatically done. <--

My question is, which language (VBA, PHP, Perl,...) should I use to do the work and how can I do it?

I appriciate all your answers.

Thank you very much.

stanl
08-24-2006, 12:27 PM
Any of the languages you mentioned will work. You will require a COM interface to something capable of reading web page info and transferring files. You might want to check out

http://www.alphasierrapapa.com/IisDev/Components/AspTear/

It's an oldie, but a goodie. Stan

ceevicee
08-24-2006, 04:47 PM
thanks, stanl

I will check your link right now :thumb.

lucas
08-24-2006, 07:59 PM
I don't know how you could automate this entire process but you might take a look at one of Johnsk's kb entries that retrieves data from a website and puts it in excel.....you could probably get it to do what you want with the text file too....just a thought. You would still have to upload the excel file after its created.

Link to Johns kb entry:
http://vbaexpress.com/kb/getarticle.php?kb_id=296

stanl
08-31-2006, 08:23 AM
I don't know how you could automate this entire process

It is not that difficult, just takes an HTTP Agent (e.g. Msxml2.Http, xStandard, Chilkat) and a parser (e.g. the XMLDom and xPath that ships with Microsoft IE). Finally, if you could not POST the finished .xls, you could use FTP.

What you would use as a host?? Macro, .wsc, .wsh, VB, other 3rd party scripting program...