PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] VBE help

countingapples
09-10-2004, 10:00 AM
Hi everyone, :006:

A friend of mine sent me the following:

Problem with my Excel Installation?

My Visual Basic Editor seems to have disappeared! Press Alt+F11, nothing happens. Tools/Macro/VB Editor, nothing happens. Using Controls Toolbox, create a Button. Right Click, select View Code, nothing happens........

I've re-inserted my Office disk and told it to "Repair Installation". It does and seems to reinstall quite a few files. tried all the above again, and still no Editor....any suggestions?

Can anyone here help? This is beyond my meager skills. :ipray:

countingapples

SparrowHawk
09-11-2004, 05:29 PM
Hello Apples ...

You didn't mention which OS your friend is using but I'll assume it is XP. Make sure you have the following file in place:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VBA\VBA6\VBE6.DLL

This is the dll that pretty much runs the VBE. Your version may differ (I'm using 2000) but something very similar must be there. There are other dlls and various files in the directory as well. There are also a number of references in the registry but there are far too many to go through individually.

If the OS is Windows XP, has your friend considered doing a system restore to a point before this all happened? No, not the factory reinstallation but something very similar to Go Back. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't ... but it can't hurt to try.

Another option that might work out well is to uninstall Office but also to delete all leftover relevant directories (including program files\common files\microsoft shared and then any references to Office or VBA ... also delete any office references in documents and settings\(your user name directory)\application data\microsoft and references in there. Lastly search through the registry and remove any excel entries. Almost all software leaves a LOT of residual garbage behind after a normal uninstall which is why you need to delete leftover directories and registry entries. A corrupted or infected file left behind will possibly corrupt future reinstallations. Incidentally, if you are not comfortable maneuvering through the registry it is best to stay away from it. Then reboot and reinstall the entire package with all the custom choices your friend might need. I make my living fighting with Windows and other software issues in addition to troubleshooting hardware which probably explains my growing lack of hair. :mkay

Hope there is something in all that that helps.
Ken

countingapples
09-12-2004, 05:01 PM
Thanks Ken,

I've passed the info on :call: and will let you know how it goes.

Karen

countingapples
09-13-2004, 01:41 PM
Just heard back from my friend.

He had a dual monitor setup. When he removed the second monitor, he forgot to reset all the software back to single monitor settings.

Thanks again for your help Ken.

Karen