PDA

View Full Version : Default Magnification

peterv6
09-14-2004, 06:16 AM
Is there a way to permantently set the default magnification for documents opened with the normal.dot template?

TonyJollans
09-14-2004, 09:30 AM
Hi peter,

Welcome to VBAX!

AFAIK there is no way to set and keep a default directly.

What you can do, though, is have an auto open (or auto new) macro in your normal template which runs when you open (or create) a document. Unfortunately these do not fire when you start Word and it creates a blank document which may, of course, be exactly when you want the change!! The only event which does fire in these circumstances is the Application Document_Change Event - which also fires at other points when you don't want to do anything. Wouldn't do to be too easy, now, would it? :D

I'd be only too happy to be proved wrong on this one because it's a perfectly reasonable requirement which ought to be simple to implement.

mdmackillop
09-14-2004, 01:22 PM
Hi Peter,
Try pasting the following into the ThisDocument module of Normal.dot
MD

Private Sub Document_Open()
For Each myWindow In Windows
myWindow.View.Zoom.Percentage = 100
Next myWindow
End Sub

village_alchemist
09-14-2004, 04:23 PM
Maybe I'm making this too simple, but if the goal is to have a set magnification for the default blank document that Word creates when it starts or when the user clicks on the "New Blank Document" button (or File | New), then it is really quite easy.

All you have to do is modify the Normal.dot file and save it at the magnification you want. For instance, in Office 2000:

1) Open Word
2) Click the open file icon or select File | Open from the menu
3) Browse to the default templates folder
(you can find this in Word through the Tools | Options | File Locations tab)
(but it is normally something like "C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates")
4) Open the Normal.dot file (the file name in the title bar should say Normal.dot)
5) Set your magnification
6) Now this step is important: change the document so Word will save it. I just typed a single character then hit backspace to delete it.
7) Save the file

You're done. The next time you open Word or create a new document the magnification will be at whatever you set it to.

TonyJollans
09-15-2004, 01:13 AM
I like that, village alchemist.

Anne Troy
09-15-2004, 12:05 PM
Yes, that's always the trick--you have to change something else for the normal.dot's default open view to change...

Here's our KB entry on setting a default open view to the Nth degree possible:
http://www.vbaexpress.com/kb/getarticle.php?kb_id=65

:)

Anne Troy
09-28-2004, 10:31 PM
peterv6: Is this issue solved for you?