PDA

View Full Version : Excel VBA add-in install on server

Djblois
09-03-2006, 01:39 PM
I just created an add-in for the company I work for. I was wondering if I could install it on the server for everyone to use, instead of installing it on each individual computer.

Bob Phillips
09-03-2006, 02:36 PM
Yes you can. It is just another directory.

matthewspatrick
09-03-2006, 05:30 PM
The only downside I can see to that strategy is if you have users who are working remotely and who may not have reliable, speedy connections to the corporate file server.

mdmackillop
09-04-2006, 12:12 AM
The add-in install options are for the file to be copied to the local PC or not. Saying yes to this is not good for code maintenance, but handy for remote working. I suppose a check for a newer version procedudre could be added, although I've not tried it.

Bob Phillips
09-04-2006, 02:39 AM
The add-in install options are for the file to be copied to the local PC or not. Saying yes to this is not good for code maintenance, but handy for remote working. I suppose a check for a newer version procedudre could be added, although I've not tried it.

Good point Malcolm. I have done it and it works well.

matthewspatrick
09-04-2006, 05:26 AM

I wrote and maintain a huge add-in that my co-workers and a few of my clients use. Plus, I'm the top "template cop". Storing the add-in and templates on a file server is tricky for us because most of us are out in the field, so we always installed the add-in and templates locally. As you can imagine, this has lead to big version control headaches.

I am actually testing and getting ready to deploy a little VB6 app I wrote that my co-workers can run once a week or so to look for updated templates, add-in components, or other "standard documents". It's my first free-standing VB app; all my other work has been VBA on top of one Office app or another.