PDA

View Full Version : Calculation

makako
09-05-2006, 10:18 AM
Hi, I am working with huge amounts of data and would like to ask for advise on some calculations that I have to perform each time I run my userform. Is is better (quicker) to calculate payments, future payments, due dates, etc. via VBA or is it better to have them calculated in a sheet?. Thanks

Cyberdude
09-05-2006, 12:00 PM
Hi, makako! While I have no official information on this topic, it is my understanding that almost everything that Microsoft has written (like worksheet functions) is faster and more efficient than you or I can write. The only way to tell for sure is to write it both ways and run timing tests on each.

makako
09-05-2006, 01:30 PM
Thanks for your reply, but for example Evaluate(SumProduct.... isnt also ms-written?

matthewspatrick
09-05-2006, 01:48 PM
makako,

Some worksheet functions are available in VBA; these should run roughly as fast in VBA as they do in a worksheet (although perhaps not quite as fast, because of extra OLE calls; you are unlikely to notice the difference most of the time).

What are you trying to do?

makako
09-07-2006, 07:23 AM
Im trying to calculate from thousands of clients (each with a couple dozen payments real and planned) the total debt of each client and the sum of all debt (between other calculations but these are the most complex (time consuming) of all