PDA

View Full Version : Solved: How to Set the Scale of the X-Axis

Cyberdude
09-05-2006, 04:30 PM
I managed to create a chart with two Y axes and created a Series to go with each axis.
My problem is that the X-axis scale is weird and I need to change it. However, when I click of the X axis and select ?Format Axis?, then select ?Scale?, I get this window that has no apparent way of specifying scale values. Can someone please explain this window to me?

The first line says ?Category (X) axis scale?, then the next line is
?Value (Y) axis crosses at category number? followed by an input square with a ?1? in it.
There?s more stuff in the window, but none seems to relate to scale specifications.

How do I get the familiar scale window that lets me specify max and min values?

Cyberdude
09-05-2006, 07:28 PM
Reset. I finally figured out out to change the X-axis scale. I still have no idea what the window described above does, but at the moment it doesn't seem like I need to.

Andy Pope
09-06-2006, 01:17 AM
Hi,

You don't say want type of chart you have but I take a guess at Line.

A line chart has a categorical x axis where you appear to be expecting a value axis. If you want a value axis then use the xy-scatter chart type.

Cyberdude
09-07-2006, 11:00 AM
I am using an xy-scatter chart with two Y axes.

I should have mentioned how I got what I wanted. As I said, when I did a "Format Axis", and selected "Scale", I got a window that had no means for changing the scale. So I got out of that window, then right clicked the chart, and selected "Chart Options". In that window I could see that "Categories" was checked. I changed it to "Time-scale", and ... voila! ... I got the familiar window that let me set the time scale. Who would have thought?

Not that any of this let me finish my chart. When you have two Y axes, then other lines on the chart get confused. I never could get everything coordinated. I was using "per cent profit" for one Y axis and equivalent "profit dollars" on the other, so I had to set up the scales just right so that they made sense. I DID figure out how to do that, but other problems made me abandon the effort.