PDA

View Full Version : Quick VBA-Dropdown Question

dattagal
09-07-2006, 01:21 PM
Do I have to have the information in my dropdowns to use with the VBA code that limits the display of records in one dropdown by what is selected in the dropdown before it.

For example - I have been working on code to limit the items that display in my account assistants dropdown to those in the office selected in my group office dropdown - but - I just found out that I can not enter more than 25 items in a dropdown.

If I have to have my group offices and account assistants in dropdowns in the form (and I assume that I do) I might as well scratch this project now because I have 26 group offices and usually about 5 account assistants in each office for a total of about 130 account assistants.

If I can only have 25 items in a dropdown and I have to have the items in the dropdown to correspond with the code I might as well forget this Word form project now and get busy on the Access database with data access page.

Your prompt answer to this question will be greatly appreciated.

Cindy

matthewspatrick
09-08-2006, 10:40 AM
Cindy,

I definitely recommend you go to Access. You could make it work in Word, but it will be a headache to maintain.

dattagal
09-08-2006, 11:18 AM
My mind has been wandering in that direction and the more I think about it the more convinced I am that I am wandering in the right direction.

In fact my boss and I discussed it yesterday afternoon and again this morning and have concluded that although we will use the Word for now, but will continue to work on the solution in Access and present it as soon as we feel we have a solid case complete with some samples of what it would look like and how it functions.

Its not always easy to sell people on Access because they are unfamliar with it and in some cases, downright scared of it.

We are discussing using a Data Access Page - lots of possibilities - but this one seems quite plausible (except that for as much experience as I have with Access itself, I have about "0" with Data Access Pages and my boss has no experience with either one.).

Still, the maintenance factor is a consideration - the code (in Word) would have to be modified each time there was a change in personnel, where in Access it would be a matter of entering that new person in a form, editing name or job title changes and perhaps deleting those that leave.

I may be checking back in soon for help with the Data Access Page. Thanks for the recommendation - I totally agree.

Cindy

Norie
09-08-2006, 12:45 PM
Cindy

Why a Data Access Page?

Couldn't you just use forms?