PDA

View Full Version : automate updating workbooks in order

wellssh1
09-09-2006, 10:22 AM
Hello, I hope you can help me.

I have a series of linked workbooks that goes up the chain of command in my company. (example, managers workbook is linked to his supervisors books, Directors workbook is linked to his managers books, and the VP is linked to the Directors books)

The problem is, that in order for the VP to have the latest information, all the Managers and Directors (in that order) have to update their workbooks first (daily).

Without re-doing the entire project.............. I think what would work great (if even possible) would be for me to have a generic workbook that I control. Write code in this workbook to open all the managers workbooks, save and close them, then open the Directors workbooks, save and close them, then open the VP workbook, save and close it. Even better, have this done automatically in the middle of the night.

I have already turned off the "update links dialog box" so I just need the workbooks opened, saved and closed, but it has to open them in a specific order (all managers first, then all directors, then the VP)

Hope that made sence.

I am a VBA newbie, but understand some, so if you are willing to help figure this out, please provide as much information as is convienant or possible.

thanks in advance for any help given

matthewspatrick
09-09-2006, 11:42 AM
You certainly could do that, but to be honest for what you describe I think a db app will be more appropriate.

wellssh1
09-09-2006, 12:18 PM
I am under a time constraint, this series of workbooks already existed, I just modified and linked them, a DB app might work, but I dont have the time to build it............ I think the VBA code to open the workbooks in order at a specific time automatically is my only option at this time.

thanks for the reply