PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Those little icons besides the Object Brower Objects

YellowLabPro
09-11-2006, 03:35 PM
As I dwelve deeper into the VBA model, more things are exposed and have greater meaning. I am wondering what the little icons indicate-- I am assuming they indicate the different types of objects, class, member etc...
For example Average has a neon green book as its icon, while xlAverage has a grey square as its icon. Would be helpful to know their significance.

Thanks,

YLP

Bob Phillips
09-11-2006, 03:39 PM
Flying green book: method
Pointing finger: property
Pointing finger with a blue dot: default property
Lightning flash: event
Grey parchment: builtin constant

YellowLabPro
09-11-2006, 04:29 PM
Thanks again Xld,
Is there a reference I can refer to? There a few more, like the double yellow parchment, and the tri-colored triangle under classes.

And one other thing on the same topic--
F1 Help on Classes: The help screen comes up w/ a heireichal map w/ aqua and yellow rectangles... what do these indicate?

Thanks once again for your patience and assistance.

ylp

Bob Phillips
09-12-2006, 12:03 AM
I must admit I never take any notice of them. Can you give an example of those two?

Andy Pope
09-12-2006, 12:39 AM
double yellow parchment: Enumeration category
tri-colored triangle: Object

This page has an explanation
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/odc_pb2003_ta/html/OfficePublisherMadeEasyFive.asp

And if you press F1 within VBE you should get the start page which has a hyperlinked item 'Object Browser'. Half way down the page is another link to Icons. This page explains each Icon.

Yellow boxes are collections
Blue boxes are objects

YellowLabPro
09-12-2006, 06:05 AM
Thanks Andy.
I looked over both, the link and the Help page. Great stuff--
Kind of cool- in doing this, I found that the items used in my open workbooks showup in the Classes Window- like I am using a Msgbox in a worksheet-- VBAX_Exercise1 which the icon shows me that this is a Module and shows up as an Interaction in the Search Results window up top ...

This is good stuff

I am still trying to get more info on the Hierarchical listings...
I see that you showed me about collections and objects, so that is a good start.

thanks again,

ylp

YellowLabPro
09-12-2006, 06:24 AM
xld-
I found this, it may be of some interest
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vbaxl11/html/Welcome_HV01134775.asp

Bob Phillips
09-12-2006, 11:00 AM
xld-
I found this, it may be of some interest
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vbaxl11/html/Welcome_HV01134775.asp
Why would that be of interest to me particularly?

YellowLabPro
09-12-2006, 07:50 PM
Hi xld,
just thought it would be. You wrote that you had not noticed this previously and wanted an example. You offer a lot of assistance to the community and this may be something useful for another VBAer....

Bob Phillips
09-13-2006, 03:54 AM
I said that I never take any notice of the icons Yelp (in the object browser), so I asked for examples so that I could explain them to you.:)

YellowLabPro
09-13-2006, 04:01 AM
Ahhhh--
I see, well anyway your and Andy's posts helped a lot. Now when I see those little Icons it helps my frame of reference of what their function is. The library reference is super cool too. Well, off to study more... thanks again

ylp