PDA

View Full Version : New Articles Section

Jacob Hilderbrand
09-17-2006, 12:23 PM
Well there has been a long wait for a decent articles system, but I think it was worth it. I just installed one that I think will work quite well.

http://vbaexpress.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=91

Try it out and add some articles for us. There are a lot of configurations, so I can add sub categories later, for now all articles will be in one spot.

Jacob Hilderbrand
09-17-2006, 12:45 PM
If you have any questions on how to use the Articles section let me know. Also you can post any issues here or PM me.

Thanks

Jake

Jacob Hilderbrand
09-17-2006, 01:52 PM
I have started to transfer the old articles to the new system. I will have to do this manually, so it may be a few days before they are all there. There are a few added now so you can see how they look in the new system.

Ken Puls
09-17-2006, 04:59 PM
Is it going to scale as more are added, or will it always have icons sized for the visually impaired?

Also, don't know if you're on it, but the "Find function" link is not working.

Jacob Hilderbrand
09-17-2006, 05:08 PM
That was deleted by request.

johnske
09-19-2006, 03:11 PM
Hi Jake,

First, let me say that this seems to be a good add, but some questions on the mechanics of it:

Does someone posting an article have an option to save it as a WIP and/or return to it to add to it or reformat etc. - or must they do it all in one hit before submitting their article?

I notice that the use of VBA tags and an attachment seem to be possible with this new system (a good add). How about the use of multiple images (e.g. screenshots) that may be needed to illustrate points in an article - is this possible?

Once approved, is the article submitter able to edit their own article to (say) correct or update info in it (I remember that this was a sore point with some members in the past and I must say that I agree that this should be possible)?

Regards,
John :)

johnske
09-19-2006, 08:41 PM
OK, I tested it - problem... I checked the Excel icon but the default icon is displayed :)

Jacob Hilderbrand
09-19-2006, 10:22 PM
There is some problem with the default image being loaded. When you edit an article if you click the top Save Changes button it will load the default image, if you click the second one under Additional Options, it will load the correct image.

I am working on a fix for this now.

Also I editted your article to add page breaks (A nice feature - available from the toolbar) and fixed the image.

I think I may add another mod to allow users to upload images so they can insert them in the text.

johnske
09-19-2006, 10:33 PM
... Also I editted your article to add page breaks (A nice feature - available from the toolbar) and fixed the image.

I think I may add another mod to allow users to upload images so they can insert them in the text.I noticed you did that, thanx - it reads much easier when split into separate pages.

Another problem is that some pages (for example the 1st one) aren't conforming to the size of the browser window and you need to use the scroll bar to scroll across to read the text. It fits nicely on my (new :)) monitor, but I think you'd run into great difficulties with a smaller monitor. Any ideas on that?

johnske
09-19-2006, 11:08 PM
Another small prob... On the portals "Site Links" the link to the articles section isn't working - i think it still points to the old articles section :)

mdmackillop
09-20-2006, 12:30 AM
It fits nicely on my (new :)) monitor
Show off!
A quick glance only, but looks like a nice article John. With my small monitor, I'm losing stuff off to the right, driven by the code pane size. Is it possible to set a maximum width for the code pane with a horizontal scroll facility. The option then would be to scroll within the code pane to see the extended lines, or that the OP will notice and add line breaks.

Jacob Hilderbrand
09-20-2006, 10:47 PM
Another small prob... On the portals "Site Links" the link to the articles section isn't working - i think it still points to the old articles section :)

Fixed

johnske
09-21-2006, 02:17 AM
...Another problem is that some pages (for example the 1st one) aren't conforming to the size of the browser window and you need to use the scroll bar to scroll across to read the text. It fits nicely on my (new :)) monitor, but I think you'd run into great difficulties with a smaller monitor. Any ideas on that?Thanx Malcolm,

Fixed that by adding line breaks (doh :banghead: )... all the things off to the right really restrict you when posting code in this section.

Pages 1, 8, and 9 (I think) are now the worst but I can't see how they would appear on a smaller monitor - if you wouldn't mind taking a peek Malcolm?

Regards,
John

XLGibbs
09-30-2006, 05:08 AM
Very cool new add, will see if I can get some articles together.