PDA

View Full Version : Excel/Access interface

mdmackillop
09-19-2006, 01:19 PM
At present I'm running the company timesheets in Excel, but I'd like to store the information in Access. I'd prefer to keep the Excel front-end but willing to compromise. The timesheets are filled in throughout the day, so I'm looking at a change event to write the data to Access. Is this reasonably feasable?

Ken Puls
09-19-2006, 01:35 PM
Hey, Malcolm.

A similar question was asked here (http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9570). I gave some links there to some targeted articles on this subject on my site. :)

HTH,

mdmackillop
09-19-2006, 01:39 PM
Looks like I've got some reading/work to do!

OBP
09-20-2006, 03:30 AM
Malcolm, I recently created an Access database for timekeeping input for Aussiebear but he decided to stay with Excel.
Would you like a copy to "play" with?

mdmackillop
09-20-2006, 04:05 AM
That would be great!

OBP
09-20-2006, 04:27 AM
Malcolm, this database has a section on "job functions" that you probably don't need so you can just delete it, but it has got some interesting VB calcultions and queries that you can look at first.
If you do go down the Access route and need any help from me just pm me.
I also have another simpler timekeeping database which I will try and find and post as well.

OBP
09-20-2006, 04:37 AM
Malcolm, these 2 are simple versions of time logging that I have helped others with over the years, they might provide you with some additional ideas.

OBP
09-20-2006, 04:38 AM
Sorry, I can only upload 1 at a time.

OBP
09-22-2006, 02:06 AM
Malcolm, did the databases that I posted provide you with any "inspiration" or ideas?
Or help you make up your mind?

mdmackillop
09-22-2006, 04:24 AM
Hi OBP.
I'll be having a look at them at the weekend.
Thanks
Malcolm

XLGibbs
09-30-2006, 05:42 AM
Excel can work reasonably well as a time sheet database within itself. As we all know, Excel is really a front end development tool, not just a spreadsheet. If it were me, I would use Excel exclusively for this project, but export certain rows of data for storage into tab delimited text files. If done right, the text files could work as make-shift "Database" without needing the back end of access.

Also, while not an option to many, a set up like this would be quite simple in VB6 or VB.net using Access as the container for the data....

Good luck with it MD.

GroovyGal
11-18-2006, 08:42 AM
I'm working on something very similar and need to keep track of time via a tech project. Ultimately - I'd like to have these times transferred over to a database that will store the time sheet & travel data. Thanks for posting this.

Have a great day!

mdmackillop
11-18-2006, 08:47 AM
Hi GG
Welcome to VBAX,

If you have any questions, just ask.
Regards
MD

stanl
11-19-2006, 08:53 AM
If done right, the text files could work as make-shift "Database" without needing the back end of access.

The Jet 4.0 Provider w/TEXT Driver can treat them just like recordsets with find, sort filter and copyfromrecordset() if you needed data back into Excel. Was that sort of what you meant? Stan