PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Not Sure How to Interpret "Me"

Cyberdude
10-15-2006, 11:18 AM
Private Sub Workbook_BeforeClose(Cancel As Boolean)
Me.Saved = True
End Sub In a reply, zest1 used the example shown above. I have never gotten a good feel for how to use "Me" (or should I say "Myself" ... giggle). I see various code illustrations that include Me, but never an explanation. Help seems to relate it to use within class modules, yet various examples use it in almost anywhere it suits them. Can someone explain it to me?

Jacob Hilderbrand
10-15-2006, 11:31 AM
Me refers to the class object. So in the ThisWorkbook mobule, Me is the workbook. In a worksheet module it would be that worksheet. In a userform code section it would be that userform.

Bob Phillips
10-15-2006, 12:34 PM
Me is a bit like This in JavaScript, it refers to the object under consideration, but in VBA is limited to the class container.

Norie
10-15-2006, 12:48 PM
Cyberdude

As far as I know the ThisWorkbook and Worksheet modules are all class modules.

Cyberdude
10-15-2006, 01:44 PM
Got it! Thanks guys. Norie, that fact had eluded my attention. Thanks for the enlightenment. I wasn't sure if it was proper to use Me in an ordinary Workbook or Worksheet module. (Now I can sleep at night.) :bug:

Bob Phillips
10-15-2006, 03:40 PM
Don't forget Userforms!

patrickab
10-16-2006, 04:45 AM
And I thought Me referred to whatever you are currently in, be it a workbook, worksheet, userform .... Thus it's a bit of a chameleon as it takes the name of its parent so to speak. Or have I got it wrong?

Bob Phillips
10-16-2006, 11:01 AM
That's what we all said, the parent is the container.

matthewspatrick
10-17-2006, 05:36 AM
As far as I know the ThisWorkbook and Worksheet modules are all class modules.

They are. Of course, I usually fall into the trap of mentally separating the class modules for ThisWorkbook, the Sheets, and UserForms from the "regular" class modules that you can insert to create your own classes (such as when you have to create a class for the Excel.Application object so that you can trap Application events).

Bob Phillips
10-17-2006, 06:01 AM
They are. Of course, I usually fall into the trap of mentally separating the class modules for ThisWorkbook, the Sheets, and UserForms from the "regular" class modules that you can insert to create your own classes (such as when you have to create a class for the Excel.Application object so that you can trap Application events).

You don't have to. ThisWorkbook is already a class.

matthewspatrick
10-17-2006, 06:03 AM
You don't have to. ThisWorkbook is already a class.

Bob, I am referring to Application events, not Workbook events. To trap Application events, you have to implement a custom class.

Bob Phillips
10-17-2006, 06:57 AM
Bob, I am referring to Application events, not Workbook events. To trap Application events, you have to implement a custom class.

So am I.

No you don't.

mvidas
10-17-2006, 07:01 AM
So am I.

No you don't.
'*** thisworkbook code ***
Private WithEvents ThisApp As Excel.Application
Private Sub ThisApp_WorkbookOpen(ByVal Wb As Workbook)
MsgBox "You just opened " & Wb.Name
End Sub
Private Sub Workbook_Open()
Set ThisApp = Application
End Sub

matthewspatrick
10-17-2006, 07:20 AM
Bob and Matt,

Thank you for that demonstration.

mvidas
10-17-2006, 07:29 AM
You may have seen code from me in the past using a class module; I didn't learn the short way to do it until a couple months ago

Bob Phillips
10-17-2006, 07:43 AM
You may have seen code from me in the past using a class module; I didn't learn the short way to do it until a couple months ago

Personally, I never use this approach as it is poor encapsulatioin/abstraction IMO. Application events are not workbook specific, so they do not belong in ThisWorkbook. I was just re-emphasising that ThisWorkbook is a class module, and so a separate class module is not NEEDED (desired, maybe).

malik641
10-17-2006, 08:02 AM
Well, if you wanted to monitor the events of ALL open workbooks/worksheets then you need to use a custom class module.

Bob Phillips
10-17-2006, 08:24 AM
What makes you say that? I notice you said ALL, which presumably means that you are referring to some situation we have not discussed. If so, enlighten me.

malik641
10-17-2006, 09:14 AM
First off, I'm not looking to get chewed up and spit out. I know where I stand with you, and I know that you know plenty more than me about VBA. So don't think I'm getting smart with you Bob, if you thought I had.

About what I said, yes you're right. It is a situation that we have not discussed. So I take that back.

I want to refer back to:

So am I.

No you don't.

I was just re-emphasising that ThisWorkbook is a class module, and so a separate class module is not NEEDED (desired, maybe).
I agree that almost all of the application events are in the ThisWorkbook module, but what about the _NewWorkbook event? This can't be captured in the Workbook class module, right? If not than that means that you do need a class module to capture (at least) that event in my opinion.

Bob Phillips
10-17-2006, 09:26 AM
Nobody is looking to chew you up, but you seemed to be disagreeing with a point just proven, but your use of ALL made me think you may be making a slightly different point.

But it seems that you are not.

I agree that almost all of the application events are in the ThisWorkbook module, but what about the _NewWorkbook event? This can't be captured in the Workbook class module, right?
Wrong, it works the same way. I may be wrong, but I can't see how any would not work, or work differently, because ThisWorkbook is a class module, a custom class is a class module, so they behave the same.

malik641
10-17-2006, 09:57 AM
Wrong, it works the same way. I may be wrong, but I can't see how any would not work, or work differently, because ThisWorkbook is a class module, a custom class is a class module, so they behave the same.
Oooh, ok. Now I see what you are saying. Then yes, I agree with you. You don't need to create a new class module.

mvidas
10-17-2006, 10:15 AM
This is all coming from personal experience, by no means the best method I'm sure. Putting it in a custom class module makes it easier to distribute and keep it all in one place. If I'm only looking to trap a single event, like the _ItemAdd on an outlook folderPrivate WithEvents AFolder As Outlook.Items
Private Sub Application_Startup()
Set AFolder = Application.GetNamespace("MAPI").GetDefaultFolder(olFolderInbox).Folders("VBAX")
End Sub
Private Sub AFolder_ItemAdd(ByVal Item As Object)
If TypeName(Item) = "MailItem" Then
'perform code on a message just added to the folder
End If
End Sub or any workbook being opened (see above), I'll often use the 'This____' class module of a vbaproject that is always opened. If I have many things I want to do, or just want to keep it consolidated (and separated from the rest), I'll use a custom one.
For me it really depends on what I'm trying to accomplish