PDA

View Full Version : Sharing Macros in Templates

ragamuffin
10-24-2006, 02:35 PM
Hi,

I am trying to create a complete and working template in the best way possible. I recorded all the macros that I needed and everything worked perfectly within the workbook I created them in, but when I open the workbook (using it as a template), do a Save As to rename it, and then try to use the macros, they are still connected to the original where I created them in. So, after some research, I figured that I should save them in the PERSONAL.xls workbook (I am still not sure if that is the right thing to do or not for what I want). However, I cannot re-record the macros into the PERSONAL.xls workbook for some reason. I get an error saying, "Personal Macro Workbook in the startup folder must stay open for recording" and then another error message, "Unable to record." I get this message even with the PERSONAL.xls workbook open and unhidden, so I am not sure what is wrong with that. And, like I was saying, I am still not sure if this is the best thing to do - I guess I am unaware of how the PERSONAL workbook works and what it does exactly. My goal is to have a template with fully functioning macros that I can email to several other people in my company - they will in turn use that template workbook for their own unique information, but they need the macros to organize it into a unified form for the whole company. So, the macros will be the same for everyone, but the information will be unique - thus the use of a template. I feel that I might have over-explained myself here, so you have my apologies. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

ragamuffin

johnske
10-24-2006, 02:53 PM
Try moving your template into the startup folder - read here (http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9747) :)