Consulting

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Solved: Only you and no one else

VBAX Master
    Run once on a particular date ...

Quote Originally Posted by ndendrinos
    Charlize I just finished testing your idea and it works great.I attach the file for your approval ... I will add code to destroy the file if used on another computer than the one it is intended to work on. I removed the time element and just left the date. It is fixed for 11/08/2006
    There is one thing that escapes me and that is:
    Instead of using a time why not make the workbook code run just once on a particular date ?
    Anyhow ... not finished yet but maybe very soon.
    Regards,
    Nick
    Well, it's because I can't think of a way how I would do that. If you're like me, I would first make a back-up of the original file (for security reasons) and you still have the mail (can we autodelete that) before I will fool around with it. So how would I know that someone makes a backup before using the file ? I can't, so I prefer the time solution because that can be integrated in the coding.

Charlize

VBAX Master
    Hiding sheets ...

Nick, I saw the warning that I wasn't allowed to run this file from my computer. So that part works. Attached you'll find a possible way to deal with the hiding (even with shift key and escape key pressed) of the data sheet and the warning sheet that macro's must be enabled to use the file.

Charlize

VBAX Mentor
    Charlize, It is 5:00AM here, had two cups of coffee and thinking hard.
    During the day I would like to tackle the issues you raise one by one.
    If you read this please confirm that :

A) If the date is fixed as per my attachment "test" am I right in assuming that the copy I would make for security reasons (without opening the file that is) would not work the next day?
    B) Ditto for the email?
    If true and unless I'm wrong, the window for copying and sending the file to someone else is limited to that one day...
    Thank you

Just posted and missed your last message ... thanks for sticking by
    Thank you for your help

VBAX Mentor
    Charlize ,,, thanks for the attachment ... works great
    Thank you for your help

VBAX Master
    Charlize, It is 5:00AM here, had two cups of coffee and thinking hard.
    During the day I would like to tackle the issues you raise one by one.
    If you read this please confirm that :

A) If the date is fixed as per my attachment "test" am I right in assuming that the copy I would make for security reasons (without opening the file that is) would not work the next day?
    B) Ditto for the email?
    If true and unless I'm wrong, the window for copying and sending the file to someone else is limited to that one day...
    Thank you
    Well, here it's 12:15 noon.
    A) Yes, but if he is clever, he can change his computerclock to the date of the mail. If you make a copy of the original file, the copy won't work. If you make a copy of a file that is initialized, the file won't work on another computer because of the drive-serialno.
    B) Idem, won't work the next day. It must be the date that you specified in the code.

Charlize

VBAX Mentor
    You are right about the rolling back of the clock to match the day the eamil was sent .. I came accross the same problem with a time sheet I put together for the employees at work and in that case I bypassed the computer's clock by having the code fetch the real date and time from the U.S. Naval Academy in Maryland ... doable but extreme in this case .. Thanks for your input ... The day is just starting ... let us see how much more trouble I can create with this posting
    Nick

BTW ... your clever idea of -7/11-01-2006 could be used is this case ,no?
    Thank you for your help

VBAX Master
    You are right about the rolling back of the clock to match the day the eamil was sent .. I came accross the same problem with a time sheet I put together for the employees at work and in that case I bypassed the computer's clock by having the code fetch the real date and time from the U.S. Naval Academy in Maryland ... doable but extreme in this case .. Thanks for your input ... The day is just starting ... let us see how much more trouble I can create with this posting
    Nick

BTW ... your clever idea of -7/11-01-2006 could be used is this case ,no?
    That date - 7 thing was just a braintwist. Basically it doesn't matter if you put 8 novembre or 8 - 7 = 1 novembre. They just need to know it is 8 novembre with or without the 7.

Maybe combine your work with a time trial and the registration thing of Johnske. After all, that was a very good idea. It depends on what you are going to share with your friend. If it's something like a budgetsheet or footballcompetition you could give a trial of two weeks and then you require a registration to continue to use the software. When they try to reinstall the software, you prevent it because you wrote a certain key to the registry (a countdown key. From 15 to 1. If it's 1, no way to start it. Unless he is willing to reinstall his computer.). You have to warn your friend that on day one the sheet will be useless. Also copy the data to another workbook (I believe there's a kb about it - mentionned in this thread I think).

Charlize

VBAX Mentor
    So be it then ... I will go the route you suggest.
    I thank you very much for helping me out with this.
    Best regards
    Nick
    Thank you for your help

VBAX Master
    Instead of just using the datecheck, you could use a 2nd check on the date of creation of the file. I've noticed that when you save an attachment, the file will be saved under the current date (the creation date). So if you rollback the date after you saved the attachment, it won't work.

Also noticed that when you copy the original backup the date of creation is also changed to the current date.

Charlize
    Last edited by Charlize; 11-10-2006 at 02:58 AM.