Consulting

Thread: Solved: Trouble saving as cell value

VBAX Regular
    Solved: Trouble saving as cell value

Hello,

I am STUMMPED ! I've been working on this problem all day with no luck. With code form this forum, I am able to merge info from my spreadsheet over to bookmarks on a Word doc. What I am attempting to do is save the Word doc in a folder and name it dependant upon a cell value (in my spreadsheet).

I've attached a test spreadsheet with 2 modules. Code in Module 1 works great. Code in Module 2 produces an error: "Error no:438; There is a problem" The only difference between code in both modules is below:

I will also attach a Word.dot file (in a second message) that code refers to in the test spreadsheet attached. Any guidance would be immensely appreciated!!!

[VBA] ChDir "C:\Automated Metro\Metro PCI Cover Page\" & wb.Range("C5")
    If Err.Number = 76 Then MkDir "C:\Automated Metro\Metro PCI Cover Page\" & wb.Range("C5")
    pappWord.SaveAs Filename:="C:\Automated Metro\Metro PCI Cover Page\" & wb.Range("C5") & "\" & _
    wb.Range("C5") & "_" & wb.Range("D7") & ".doc"[/VBA]

Croeg

VBAX Regular
    RE: Trouble saving as cell value Reply to Thread

Here is the .dot file (had to .zip it) to attach to this post.

Croeg

VBAX Regular
    RE: Trouble saving as cell value

Hello,

I managed to make some progress....

I changed wb.Range("C5") to Sheets("METRO").Range("C5").Value

Here's the chage I made:

[VBA] Dim MyPath As String
    MyPath = "C:\Automated Metro\Metro PCI Cover Page\" & Sheets("METRO").Range("C5").Value

On Error Resume Next
    ChDir MyPath

If Err.Number = 76 Then MkDir "C:\Automated Metro\Metro PCI Cover Page\" & Sheets("METRO").Range("C5").Value[/VBA]

Now the folder will be created if it doesn't exist, but I still can't save the word document into the created folder (if it didn't already exist). I keep getting the Error number 438...

It seems my trouble is with this portion of the code:

[VBA] pappWord.SaveAs Filename:="C:\Automated Metro\Metro PCI Cover Page\" & Sheets("METRO").Range("C5").Value & "\" & _
    Sheets("METRO").Range("C5").Value & "_" & Sheets("METRO").Range("D7").Value & ".doc" _[/VBA]

If I delete the code above, everything works but the word doc appears as document 1 and is not saved.

Croeg

VBAX Regular
    RE: Trouble saving as cell value Reply to Thread

Hello,

I finally figured out the problem. Below is code that pushes named ranges form an excel worksheet over to bookmarks on a Word doc, then saves the word doc as Sheets(Metro).Range("C5") .xls in a folder specified by a cell value on the spreadsheet (creating the folder if it doesn't already exist).

Croeg

[VBA] Option Explicit
    Sub BCMerge()
    Dim pappWord As Object
    Dim docWord As Object
    Dim wb As Excel.Workbook
    Dim xlName As Excel.Name
    Dim ActiveDocument As Object
    Dim Path As String
    Dim MyPath As String

Set wb = ActiveWorkbook
    MyPath = "C:\Automated Metro\Metro PCI Cover Page\" & Sheets("METRO").Range("C5").Value

Application.Visible = True

On Error Resume Next
    ChDir MyPath
    If Err.Number = 76 Then MkDir "C:\Automated Metro\Metro PCI Cover Page\" & Sheets("METRO").Range("C5").Value

Path = wb.Path & "\MetroTemplate.dot"

On Error GoTo ErrorHandler
    'Create a new Word Session
    Set pappWord = CreateObject("Word.Application")

On Error GoTo ErrorHandler
    'Open document in word
    Set docWord = pappWord.Documents.Add(Path)
    'Loop through names in the activeworkbook
    For Each xlName In wb.Names
    'if xlName's name is existing in document then put the value in place of the bookmark
    If docWord.Bookmarks.Exists(xlName.Name) Then
    docWord.Bookmarks(xlName.Name).Range.Text = Range(xlName.Value)
    End If

Next xlName

With pappWord

.Visible = True
    .ActiveWindow.WindowState = 1
    .Activate

End With

With docWord

.Activate
    .SaveAs Filename:="C:\Automated Metro\Metro PCI Cover Page\" & Sheets("METRO").Range("C5").Value & "\" & _
    Sheets("METRO").Range("C5").Value & "_" & Sheets("METRO").Range("D7").Value & ".doc"

End With

'Next
    Application.DisplayAlerts = True

'Release the Word object to save memory and exit macro
    ErrorExit:
    Set pappWord = Nothing

Exit Sub

'Error Handling routine
    ErrorHandler:
    If Err Then
    MsgBox "Error No: " & Err.Number & "; There is a problem"
    If Not pappWord Is Nothing Then
    pappWord.Quit False
    End If
    Resume ErrorExit

End If

With wb
    wb.Close True
    End With

End Sub[/VBA]

Looks like you found the Push Excel Named Range Values to Bookmarks in Word entry in the KB.

FYI, I've edited your posts to use our VBA tags to make your code more readable. When you paste your code, you can highlight it then just click the VBA button above the reply window to get the same effect.

Also, thanks for posting back with your solution. We always appreciate that so that it can help other users who may come across your solution.

Cheers!
    Ken Puls, CMA - Microsoft MVP (Excel)
    I hate it when my computer does what I tell it to, and not what I want it to.

Learn how to use our KB tags! -||- Ken's Excel Website -||- Ken's Excel Forums -||- My Blog -||- Excel Training Calendar

This is a shameless plug for my new book "RibbonX - Customizing the Office 2007 Ribbon". Find out more about it here!

Help keep VBAX clean! Use the 'Thread Tools' menu to mark your own threads solved!

VBAX Regular
    RE: Solved: Trouble saving as cell value

Hi Ken,

The KB section is fantastic! There are so many useful entries found there that it is where I start my search for help! I'm still working my way around the site as I am sort of new. Thanks for passing on the VBA feature. I will be sure to use it when posting code next time.

Croeg