Consulting

Thread: Writing to a PDF file from Excel

VBAX Contributor
    Writing to a PDF file from Excel

Hello I would like to save my excel sheet into a pdf file using a macro. First i would like to invoke the excel save-as screen to enter the file name of the pdf file. Once the save button is hit save the file with the name given as a pdf file. How do i go about doing this? I have included my excel sheet.

Administrator
    2nd VP-Knowledge Base

If you have Adobe Standard (not reader) then I'm pretty sure you can just invoke the PrintOut method via code and change the ActivePrinter to Adobe PDF and it will automatically bring up the saveAs dialogue box. Haven't tested, but I've done that with other programs (CorelDraw, for instance). But make sure you leave PrToFileName blank so you can manually write in the name.

From the help files:
    expression.PrintOut(From, To, Copies, Preview, ActivePrinter, PrintToFile, Collate, PrToFileName)

expression Required. An expression that returns an object in the Applies To list.

From Optional Variant. The number of the page at which to start printing. If this argument is omitted, printing starts at the beginning.

To
    Optional Variant. The number of the last page to print. If this argument is omitted, printing ends with the last page.

Copies
    Optional Variant. The number of copies to print. If this argument is omitted, one copy is printed.

Preview
    Optional Variant. True to have Microsoft Excel invoke print preview before printing the object. False (or omitted) to print the object immediately.

ActivePrinter
    Optional Variant. Sets the name of the active printer.

PrintToFile
    Optional Variant. True to print to a file. If PrToFileName is not specified, Microsoft Excel prompts the user to enter the name of the output file.

Collate
    Optional Variant. True to collate multiple copies.

PrToFileName
    Optional Variant. If PrintToFile is set to True, this argument specifies the name of the file you want to print to.
    Hope this helps

New to the forum? Check out our Introductions section to get to know some of the members here. Feel free to tell us a little about yourself as well.

Administrator
    VP-Knowledge Base VBAX Grand Master mdmackillop's Avatar
    The usual way is simply to print to the PDF programme, which appears on your list of printers. This will normally prompt you for a save name.
    MVP (Excel 2008-2010)

Post a workbook with sample data and layout if you want a quicker solution.

To help indent your macros try Smart Indent

Please remember to mark threads 'Solved'

If you don't have Adobe standard try this freeware

http://www.pdfforge.org/products/pdfcreator/

I have an early version which works fine on most "Ordinary" file types, but has limited font recognition. Haven't tried this version though.

Jeff