Consulting

Thread: Very strange

Very strange

This one has me. I am doing a copy from this web site. http://etfconnect.com/select/etf/etf.asp Under the heading DAILY PRICING.

Up comes the stock symbols that I do a copy and then a past into a Excel ss.
    The symbols go in COLUMN A. In COLUMN B I TYPE in some of the same symbols from COLUMN A. What I am trying to do is to match the symbols in column B with the symbols in COLUMN A. This is the formula I received from one of the tech at this site. =IF(ISERROR(MATCH(B1,$A$1:$A$10,FALSE)),"NO","YES").
    Here is the funny part of this. If I OVERTYPE all the symbols in COLUMN A then
    the formula will work. I have tried everything I know to solve the problem. Can
    anyone help. If there were just a few stock symbols in COLUMN A it would be no
    big deal but there are 560 of them to OVERTYPE. Why does the formula not reconize the symbols in column A until I OVERTYPE THEM. Thanks for any help
    Max

Site Admin
    Urban Myth
    VBAX Guru

Rather than try and download the info myself, why don't you zip and attach the file to this thread so we can work with what you have; or at least a small representation of it.

I just did a copy and paste of a few of the symbols.
    IIF EVP GHI ASA FEN MFD EMF VIT EQS FUND CHN PPF MXE IFN NRI

Site Admin
    Urban Myth
    VBAX Guru
    How did you copy? Did you paste as text? Did you use Text to Columns? You may just have leading/trailing spaces. Right off hand, maybe ...

=IF(ISERROR(MATCH(TRIM(B1),TRIM($A$1:$A$10),0)),"NO","YES")
    Although it would be easier if we had something to work with. I realize this can't be done all the time also.
    Last edited by Aussiebear; 04-19-2023 at 01:42 AM. Reason: Added code tags

Thanks for the super quick reply. One question, where do I find Text to Columns?
    Max

Jacob Thank you, thank you, thank you. Here is what I did to correct the problem.
    In the excel ss I when to DATA, TEXT TO COLUMN, HIGHLIGHTED "FIXED WIDTH"
    CLICKED ON NEXT, NEXT, SELECTED "TEXT" AND IT WORKED. I can now check to see if
    the fund symbols in column B appear in column A. Again thanks, this one has been a pill to solve and you did it. FIVE STARS. LOL
    Max

Site Admin
    Urban Myth
    VBAX Guru
    ... FIVE STARS. LOL
    Max
    Then mark it as such! From within this thread, click Rate This Thread, then choose your rating. A very useful tool.

And you can also mark your own threads Solved, by going to Thread Tools -> Mark Solved -> Perform Action.

Glad you got it working Max!

Site Admin
    Jedi Master

Take Care