Consulting

Thread: Send/Receive Mail in ol2003

VBAX Expert
    Send/Receive Mail in ol2003

this is not a VBA question, but since there are so many good ol guys around, perhaps you can point me in the right direction.

I recently installed ol2003 on one of my computers. It is different enough from ol2000 (I have lots of experience here), that it took me a while to realize that it is not doing something I think it should. When I open ol2003 the automatic download of new mail from the mail server (pop3) does not occur. I have to force the download by clicking on the Send/Receive button. I have poked around in the Options but can not find anything directly related to this. I can set what happens on exit, how often Send/Receive occurs during a session, online vs offline options, etc., but not an immediate (on open) download. Either ol2003 is broken or I am doing something wrong because what I want to do is pretty common.

Any help would be appreciated.
    "It's not just the due date that's important, it's also the do date" [MWE]

When your problem has been resolved, mark the thread SOLVED by clicking on the Thread Tools dropdown menu at the top of the thread.

VBAX Regular
    Perhaps a little too quick to answer, but there is a "Send immediately when connected" option. Not at work, can't place it right now.
    The newer security features of ol2003 have been driving me batty with some of my vba routines that send things like morning reports,etc.
    Some of the fine examples of mailing worksheets and the like in the KB aren't going to do it anymore(ie .Send , and expect it to send).
    I've had to educate myself on the various SyncObjects, and can successfully mail from my excel code now, but it was a fight.
    Oh well, a little windy for what i have to offer--will try to get back better info tomorrow.

If you go into Tools-Options-Mail Setup-Send Receive, is your "Schedule an automatic send/receive every" box checked? If not, that may be it. Even if you set it for every 60 minutes, it should still do it upon start up.

Is this for a pop account?

Not sure about the difference, but this might shed some light:
    http://groups.google.com/group/micro...52a6bbb669a718

VBAX Expert
    If you go into Tools-Options-Mail Setup-Send Receive, is your "Schedule an automatic send/receive every" box checked? If not, that may be it. Even if you set it for every 60 minutes, it should still do it upon start up.
    thanks for the reply. That area was the first thing I explored. The "send/recevie every" box is checked. I have tried many different values for the increment. All seem to work as expected, but no setting seems to invoke a send/receive at start up.

BTW, this problem started when I switched from ol2000 to ol2003 so I doubt that the problem is related to the "server side" or bad setting re the ISP

When your problem has been resolved, mark the thread SOLVED by clicking on the Thread Tools dropdown menu at the top of the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by MWE
    BTW, this problem started when I switched from ol2000 to ol2003
    Hmmmm.... normally this shouldn't be a problem.

How exactly did you switch? Did you upgrade, install new, or some other variation? Are you using your old 2000 pst file?

I ask because I've not upgrade myself. I have 2000 at home (clean install) and 2003 at work (clean install) and never the twain do meet. But I've been through a Microsoft upgrade in other ways, and it's the epitome of plug-and-pray.

As you may know, 2k3 also has some nice new features, like it won't add a contact to the address book when you reply to them, like 2k could. Not even the option! Unless it's a registry hack I don't know about. I'm sure there's a good reason, like people complaining about how easy it was to retain email addresses of people you communicated with. The horror. Thanks, Bill.

Okay, I'm done.

Anyway, I'm sure there's a reason, and a way to fix it. What else can we think of?

VBAX Expert
    Hmmmm.... normally this shouldn't be a problem.

How exactly did you switch? Did you upgrade, install new, or some other variation? Are you using your old 2000 pst file?
    it is a clean install. I wiped the hard drive, installed WinXP and then MSOffice2003. There are several pst files attached to the profile. Some are old, but the key one (used for addressing and downloads) is new as of the ol2003 install.
    I ask because I've not upgrade myself. I have 2000 at home (clean install) and 2003 at work (clean install) and never the twain do meet. But I've been through a Microsoft upgrade in other ways, and it's the epitome of plug-and-pray.

As you may know, 2k3 also has some nice new features, like it won't add a contact to the address book when you reply to them, like 2k could.
    never had that problem
    Not even the option! Unless it's a registry hack I don't know about. I'm sure there's a good reason, like people complaining about how easy it was to retain email addresses of people you communicated with. The horror. Thanks, Bill.

Okay, I'm done.

Anyway, I'm sure there's a reason, and a way to fix it. What else can we think of?
    thanks again.