Consulting

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Introductions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Administrator
    2nd VP-Knowledge Base
    Introductions

Welcome to the Introductions thread! A good starting place to get a quick preview of who we all are and what we like to do.

So, hi everybody! I'm Joseph, I'm currently employed in a Safety Harness manufacturing company. We mostly make restraints for Aircrafts and (more recently) Military vehicles - primarily the Hummer's Gunner seats. I have 3 main jobs there:

1: Draft all the drawings, correct revisions, etc.
    2: Responsible for reviewing invoices before jobs are closed out and ready to be filed. This takes the longest.
    3: Automate (or optimize ) production in the office. I mostly automate Excel and on occasion I'll automate CorelDraw, AutoCAD, and file manipulation (eOrganizing, really). I plan on getting involved with Access VBA soon too.

I live in Florida and love the weather here (since I was born and raised in Jersey) . I'm going to school to get my Bachelors Degree in Mechanical Engineering, and afterwards I plan to persue a Masters in Computer Science and Engineering. When I'm not in school or at work, I'm mostly online playing with Excel or web surfing. Other than that I like to be outside and enjoy the scenery, go for a walk with my girlfriend, watch a movie (I love Netflix ), or make mojitos (that's for you, admins!).

Anyway I hope that this thread will be a great starting place for newcomers to introduce themselves and to get a feel of our members here. I believe you'll find that VBAX is the best source of friendly help on the web. I know I did

New to the forum? Check out our Introductions section to get to know some of the members here. Feel free to tell us a little about yourself as well.

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar
    ...since I was born and raised in Jersey
    Do you mean New Jersey?

There is a place called Jersey you know (that's why yours is NEW Jersey!), it's a small island in the Channel Islands off of the coast of Brittany and Normandy. Still seems we have got a lot of work on our hands to educate you Yanks!

Administrator
    2nd VP-Knowledge Base VBAX Master malik641's Avatar

But then I wouldn't sound like I'm from New Jersey if I said "New Jersey". Nobody in New Jersey calls it "New Jersey". Not even people in the surrounding states call it New Jersey...except maybe in business, but even then I'd question that

How about introducing yourself xld?

Quote Originally Posted by xld
    ...to educate you Yanks!
    Don't you mean Americans?

New to the forum? Check out our Introductions section to get to know some of the members here. Feel free to tell us a little about yourself as well.

But then I wouldn't sound like I'm from New Jersey if I said "New Jersey". Nobody in New Jersey calls it "New Jersey". Not even people in the surrounding states call it New Jersey...except maybe in business, but even then I'd question that
    Again, this is the over-bearing view of people from the US that the US is the world. There is more to worry about that just people in New Jersey, or even the United States.

Quote Originally Posted by malik641
    I certainly do not. More education for you ... America is a continent, not a country. So people from Canada are Americans, Mexicans are Americans, even people from Belize are Americans.

Administrator
    2nd VP-Knowledge Base VBAX Master malik641's Avatar
    There is more to worry about that just people in New Jersey, or even the United States.
    So let's please move along then.

Quote Originally Posted by xld
    I certainly do not. More education for you ... America is a continent, not a country. So people from Canada are Americans, Mexicans are Americans, even people from Belize are Americans.
    Perhaps you should start a new thread on this. I'll make my statement there. I'll also move these posts to the new thread.

What a lovely addition to the forum this is... apart from the anti-US rant.

BTW xld generalisations about "Yanks" is so 2006.
    Glen

Quote Originally Posted by malik641
    Perhaps this is picking nits Bob, but for someone so profoundly irritated by the lack of New in front of Jersey to indicate the state in the northeastern US, I would think that America should be referred to as 2 continents since North America and South America are seperate and distinct from one another.

Additionally, since the United States of America is what we, as well as the rest of the world, understand USA to stand for, it is largely (if not generally) accepted that referring to an "American" is a valid way to refer to a citizen of the USA and a completely ridiculous way to refer to a Canadian, or a Mexican, or a citizen of Belize, or any citizen of any country in North or Sourth America other than the USA.

If you have any vacation time coming, put in for it and unwind a bit.

Regards,
    Brandtrock

Perhaps this is picking nits Bob, but for someone so profoundly irritated by the lack of New in front of Jersey to indicate the state in the northeastern US, I would think that America should be referred to as 2 continents since North America and South America are seperate and distinct from one another.
    Well I did geography at school, have continued to have an interest in the subject, and know far more about the subject than the vast majority of you countrymen, but I was always taught that it is one continent. America, Asia, Africa, Australasia, Antarctica and Europe are the continents that we were taught. I will never separate America into 2 continents in my mind just to increase the self-aggrandisement of the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandtrock
    Additionally, since the United States of America is what we, as well as the rest of the world, understand USA to stand for, it is largely (if not generally) accepted that referring to an "American" is a valid way to refer to a citizen of the USA and a completely ridiculous way to refer to a Canadian, or a Mexican, or a citizen of Belize, or any citizen of any country in North or Sourth America other than the USA.
    That may be so, but I was 'corrected', suggesting that I meant Americans. As I said, I certainly did not mean Americans, that is perpetuating a view that the US has but the rest of the world does not, namely that the US IS America. It is not, it is a small part, and in 50 years it won't even be the important part.

And I certainly don't think it is necessary to not to refer to Canadians as Americans just so that they can have a separate identity from the US. I think they are doing that quite well themselves these days, and they should be proud to be Americans, as I am proud to be European, as well as Wessexian.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandtrock
    If you have any vacation time coming, put in for it and unwind a bit.
    You have to be joking! I enjoy winding-up Yanks who take themselves too seriously.

I thought the one in America was called Joisey (with an accent from New England area)
    Steve
    "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
    -Abraham Lincoln

state of confusion, but vacation in denial
    Hi may name is Pete and I am an alchoh....shoot! wrong introduction again.

Simply put, I am a god amongst men.

If you have posted the same question at multiple forums, please read this IMPORTANT INFO.

Please use the thread tools to mark your thread Solved

Please review the Knowledge Base
    for samples and solutions , or to submit your own!

Hi may name is Pete a

Simply put, I am a god amongst men.

Yep

Site Admin
    Urban Myth
    VBAX Guru
    What do dyslexics name their children? Yup, BOB.

Hi all,

I am a 26 year old german, currently living in Zürich Switzerland and working in the banking sector. The last two years i was working in consultancy and at a trading desk in Santiago de Chile in the area of market risk management especially concerning derivitives, hedge strategies and equity trading strategies.

I am passionate about minimal techno music production which i am doing as the age of 13, swimming, field hockey and travelling. I worked voluntarly abroad in Vietnam in the past and studied in the netherland.
    I started my new job hier in the biggest swiss bank just 2 month ago and i am really eager to learn about VBA programming as i am quite certain i can double my effeciency, once i am able to programm some basic stuff. I am very happy that forums like this exist nowadays and am eager to learn.

best regards,
    Paul

Hi all... I am gutted to find myself 8 years late for the opening discussion, it was great fun! Another Kiwi here, btw.
    "Not to worry, my Lord. The arrow didn't in fact, enter my body. No. By a thousand to one chance, my willy got in the way."

VBAX Regular

I'm Elizabeth, Indonesian residing in The Netherlands. I'm currently working on a project involving VBA as a interface for Superpro designer.

See you all around!

Elizabeth

Hello! i am getting into the world of VBA but still a novice. I appreciate this forum and the knowledge it supplies~! look forward to working with everyone!

Hello I don't want to spam but I need 5 posts to add links to posts which I need to ask a question

hi greetings

I have never met anyone who names their child Bob, it is a diminutive.