Consulting

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: firefytr

Site Admin
    Urban Myth
    VBAX Guru
    firefytr

A little self-introduction if you don't know me. My name is Zack and I'm an Excel addict. I've been working with Excel since December 2003 and have learned a lot since then, pretty much every day since then actually!

I help run this board as an administrator and am honored to be called part of the staff here at VBAX. We have some of the greatest members in the world. Truly a friendly place to visit and learn. I've been here since basically the beginning of this boards inception and it has come a long way. We've grown by leaps and bounds, which I am proud to say I have had a helping hand in.

I work as an EMT in rural Oregon. I also volunteer at my local fire department where I am a Lieutenant and Training Officer. I've loved emergency services since I started in December 1998. Getting hired on as a full-time EMT was a drastic change from volunteer status, but I'm absolutely loving it. To get up in the morning and love to go to work? It is just priceless.

My spare time is little, but the things I enjoy most are my family, movies, my XBOX 360, coffee, paintballing, wrestling, chess, posting to online forums and firearms. I'm a fairly laid back kind of guy and I like to take things easy. My idea of a good time includes sandy beaches, cool breezes, warm weather and mojitos (for you Joseph!), or a good scotch.

A good scotch eh? What scotch whisky's do you consider "good"?
    Have a profound problem? Need a ridiculous solution? Post a question in Babydum's forum

Site Admin
    Urban Myth
    VBAX Guru
    Well, I've only started trying them out within the last couple of years, and most would say I don't have anything good to choose from, so I'm keeping my options open.

LOL! Zack is worried that he's going to get roasted by Bob if he answers that.

Ken Puls, CMA - Microsoft MVP (Excel)
    I hate it when my computer does what I tell it to, and not what I want it to.

Learn how to use our KB tags! -||- Ken's Excel Website -||- Ken's Excel Forums -||- My Blog -||- Excel Training Calendar

This is a shameless plug for my new book "RibbonX - Customizing the Office 2007 Ribbon". Find out more about it here!

Help keep VBAX clean! Use the 'Thread Tools' menu to mark your own threads solved!

Administrator
    2nd VP-Knowledge Base
    LOL! Zack is worried that he's going to get roasted by Bob if he answers that.

New to the forum? Check out our Introductions section to get to know some of the members here. Feel free to tell us a little about yourself as well.

Site Admin
    Urban Myth
    VBAX Guru
    Let's put it this way, the more I learn, the more I know how little I know. How's that for PC?

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar
    You're gonna learn some more in March Zack. The bottle is bought, all we have to do is find somewhere to drink it. Have to admit though, it is aimed full square at Ken's palate (but I like it, you will too after 6!).

A good scotch eh? What scotch whisky's do you consider "good"?
    What do you like BD?

What do you like BD?
    I prefer a peaty scotch. When I was last in Edinburgh I bought a bottle called Smokehead - I loved it!

Of the ones generally available in the mid-sized local off-licences ("liquor stores" I think is the across-the-pond expression) then I generally go for the Isle of Islay whiskys.

If I had to choose between the really cheap stuff, then I prefer Glenfiddich to Bells. But that's only when I'm on a tight budget. With scotches, you definately get what you pay for.

I'm sure there are bottles ?50 and over that are to die for - but I'd rather spend my money on something else. Call me an old cheapskate
    Have a profound problem? Need a ridiculous solution? Post a question in Babydum's forum

I prefer a peaty scotch. When I was last in Edinburgh I bought a bottle called Smokehead - I loved it!

Of the ones generally available in the mid-sized local off-licences ("liquor stores" I think is the across-the-pond expression) then I generally go for the Isle of Islay whiskys.

If I had to choose between the really cheap stuff, then I prefer Glenfiddich to Bells. But that's only when I'm on a tight budget. With scotches, you definately get what you pay for.

I'm sure there are bottles ?50 and over that are to die for - but I'd rather spend my money on something else. Call me an old cheapskate
    Hey cheapskate,

You have the same inclination that Ken and I have.

Can't say I have ever tried Smokehead, but if you want to pop down South ...

I think Glenfiddich is bit more expensive than Bells, but anyway I detest Glenfiddich, because it is a very ordinary whisky and has been market hyped into a global brand. As for Bells, if I drink blends, I drink Famous Grouse.

Favourites? The great Lagavulin, Talisker, especially the Distillers edition, Ardberg, and the bottle I am going to share with Zack and Ken in March. But I love many others, SpringBank, Glenlivet, Macallan (of course), and too many more to mention. A bottle of 6X and a good malt, good evening ...

Oh, I'm looking forward to the summit! I'm sure we'll find somewhere to sample that bottle, Bob.

I was in the liquor store the other day and saw a bottle called the "Peat Monster". Looked ineresting, but the names strikes me as decidely un-Scottish, so I didn't buy. I don't know if they've just started marketing to the North American crowd though.

My father in law pulled out a bottle of Scapa over Christmas. Despite being peat free, it was actually quite good. I'd still prefer a Lagavulin over it any day though.

Learn how to use our KB tags! -||- Ken's Excel Website -||- Ken's Excel Forums -||- My Blog -||- Excel Training Calendar

This is a shameless plug for my new book "RibbonX - Customizing the Office 2007 Ribbon". Find out more about it here!

Help keep VBAX clean! Use the 'Thread Tools' menu to mark your own threads solved!

Oh, I'm looking forward to the summit! I'm sure we'll find somewhere to sample that bottle, Bob.
    Undoubtedly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Puls
    My father in law pulled out a bottle of Scapa over Christmas. Despite being peat free, it was actually quite good. I'd still prefer a Lagavulin over it any day though.
    Not one that I know. Just looked it up in my Wallace Milroy, and he says ...delightful aromatic bouquet of peat and heather ... medium bodied with a malty silk-like finish ... That suggests it should taste peaty? It is from Orkney as well. It is the second most northerly distillery after Highland Park.

Michael Jackson's notes are more interesting

Nose
    Soft. Hay, with a hint of oily chocolate and vanilla. Warm.
    Palate
    Smooth. Chocolate, vanilla, nuts. Very lively and appetising.
    Finish
    Late salt and pepper, with a hint of rooty peat.
    Comment
    Scapa can seem a delicate whisky, but it is full of flavours, and deserves it growing following.

Definitely sounds like one to seek out.

Not that I would argue with Michael Jackson, of course, but I agree with all but the finish. I really don't recall the Peat in it. I may just have to convince pop-in-law to let me try it again.

The rest, though, certainly. It does seem delicate, very smooth (probably the smoothest I've had actually), but very good. I'd be curious on your impression of it, Bob.

Not that I would argue with Michael Jackson, of course, but I agree with all but the finish. I really don't recall the Peat in it. I may just have to convince pop-in-law to let me try it again.
    Sounds like a plan!

Both Wallace Milroy and Michael Jackson detected peat, so sandpaper the tongue next time Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Puls
    The rest, though, certainly. It does seem delicate, very smooth (probably the smoothest I've had actually), but very good. I'd be curious on your impression of it, Bob.
    Smoother than Highland Park, Springbank?

If I can get hold of a copy I certainly will. Until recenetly they only had independent bottlers versions, but it seems that since Pernod Ricard took it over, they are bottling again. Something to look forward to.

PS I thought this thread was supposed to be about Zack (LOL).

Site Admin
    Urban Myth
    VBAX Guru

Both Wallace Milroy and Michael Jackson detected peat, so sandpaper the tongue next time Ken.
    LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by xld
    Smoother than Highland Park, Springbank?
    Hmmm... can't say. I've never tried either.

Quote Originally Posted by xld
    PS I thought this thread was supposed to be about Zack (LOL).
    He'll get over it.

That's good, Ted. Stay away from our malts.

Administrator
    VP-Knowledge Base VBAX Grand Master mdmackillop's Avatar
    Sorry, rum man myself.
    Hi Ted,
    Got some of that right here. Never yet puzzled out why rum from the "Land Down-Under" has a polar bear logo.
    MVP (Excel 2008-2010)

Post a workbook with sample data and layout if you want a quicker solution.

To help indent your macros try Smart Indent

Please remember to mark threads 'Solved'

Go to www.bundabergrum.com.au and select the history of bundaberg rum. Apparently in 1961, one Sam McMahon, brother to a past Prime Minister came up with the concept of the bear under the guise that it'll ward off the coldest winters.

Mind you small amounts of bundy has been known to make intelligent men talk gibberish, whilst those of us more mentally challenged...... well we just carry on as usual.

There's an art to drinking it. In fact its an Australian measurement for us males. One may use it as a beer chaser, or end of working day refreshment, or like most of us heathens, drink it in such copious amounts at parties, that the next day has serous consequencies. These range from out of tune drum bands roaring around in your head, to your stomach feeling like 14 sumo wrestlers have had an all night tag team contest. Many a male has issued those words..." I'll never touch the bloody stuff again", only to front up manfully again next night with the mates.

Often referred to as "Mother's milk", the taste often only just hides the feeling that you've just swallowed unleaded fuel. For the inexperienced rum drinker, you'll swear that you have. Just recently they released a triple filtered bundy, which can turn even the most experienced drinker into a loose goose.

Simply put, it'll either make you or break you. After a big night on the rum, if you can lie flat on the ground and feel like you don't have to hang on, well you haven't had a big enough night.

Ted