Consulting

Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: I'm...

  1. #1
    VBAX Mentor XL-Dennis's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2004
    Location
    ?stersund, Sweden
    Posts
    499
    Location

    I'm...

    1. .NET addict.
    2. fond of Windows Vista including the UAC.
    3. fond of the Ribbon UI in Office 2007.
    4. fond of Excel 2007.
    5. proud to have managed to deploy one VSTO solution
    6. proud to be a member of the virtual online Excel community
    7. proud to know so many good people in the community
    8. Dennis
    Last edited by XL-Dennis; 01-11-2007 at 04:26 AM. Reason: spelling
    Kind regards,
    Dennis

    ExcelKB | .NET & Excel | 2nd edition PED


  2. #2
    Moderator VBAX Guru Ken Puls's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Nanaimo, BC, Canada
    Posts
    4,001
    Location
    9. Not afraid to say something controversial if I believe it. (See points 2 & 3).
    10. Greatly respected by the online community.

    Ken Puls, CMA - Microsoft MVP (Excel)
    I hate it when my computer does what I tell it to, and not what I want it to.

    Learn how to use our KB tags! -||- Ken's Excel Website -||- Ken's Excel Forums -||- My Blog -||- Excel Training Calendar

    This is a shameless plug for my new book "RibbonX - Customizing the Office 2007 Ribbon". Find out more about it here!

    Help keep VBAX clean! Use the 'Thread Tools' menu to mark your own threads solved!





  3. #3
    VBAX Mentor Brandtrock's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Titonka, IA
    Posts
    399
    Location
    Dennis, you are also forward thinking and willing to share what you have learned with the rest of us. I have learned a great deal from what you have shared here, at other forums, and in the individual communications we have had.
    I appreciate your willingness to discuss the broader picture of how technology not only is used by the business community but how it should or could be used by the same.
    The virtual online Excel community has reaped a tremendous benefit from your participation. Thank you for being so willing to assist.
    I am honored to know you.

    Regards,

  4. #4
    VBAX Mentor XL-Dennis's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2004
    Location
    ?stersund, Sweden
    Posts
    499
    Location
    Ken

    Many thanks for the 10th item

    I don't mind clear standpoints and I don't care if other find them to be controversial or not. The #1 rule is that they should never, implicit or explicit, offend any other person.

    I must admit that when I started to test the Ribbon UI I was very negative and disliked it. When I raised the question why I came to the insight that it was due to the fact that I couldn't apply my 15-18 years experience with classic commandbars. In the end I came to the conclusion that I like it. It's simple and clear and therefore easy to use. As a developer I also like it because it provides me with a well defined structure in which I can manipulate the UI via XML and code.

    At present I try to compile a list of Q&A when it comes to manipulating the Ribbon UI where the answer always is "No".

    I hope that You can help me with some input later on. It will be available at Patrick Schmid's Ribbon X Forum.

    Vista's User Account Control (UAC -- The January 2007 number of MSDN Magazine includes an excellent article on the subject) offer a number of new possibilites which will have a major impact on those of us who deliver third-party solutions.

    Vista is so much more then just a new UI with "whistle & bells". It comes with a load of new technologies "under the hood" and together with Version 3.0 of .NET Framework, VS.NET and VSTO + Office 2007+MOSS 2007+Exchange 2007+... we have a total new paradigm to learn and to leverage.

    No, it will not be an easy transition for anyone and it will also take time to catch up with this new paradigm.

    At the same time we need to take full responsibility for the present de facto standard among our customers and partners.


    TJ

    Many many thanks for Your kind words

    I'm very greatful that You and other have taken Your time to read my stuff and also showing a willingness to discuss it.

    Forums like VBAX, OzGrid and JMT Forum offer so much then just being "strictly" Q&A Forums.

    It's important that they all continue to allow people like me as well as other that not necessarily participiate in the daily Q&A-processes to contribute in other ways. Everyone can contribute in one or another way and that is perhaps the most important aspect to keep in mind.

    The best activity in the long run that we can do is to:

    Turn off the computers and take part of the real life as well

    Take care and all the very best from,

    Dennis

  5. #5
    Moderator VBAX Guru Ken Puls's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Nanaimo, BC, Canada
    Posts
    4,001
    Location
    Quote Originally Posted by XL-Dennis
    I don't mind clear standpoints and I don't care if other find them to be controversial or not. The #1 rule is that they should never, implicit or explicit, offend any other person.
    To me, a big part of #10 is because of #9. I know that you argue your point with facts and aren't afraid to challenge the norms. At the same time, I appreciate that we can agree to disagree on things, which speaks to your profersionalism, and therefore earns #10 for me.
    Ken Puls, CMA - Microsoft MVP (Excel)
    I hate it when my computer does what I tell it to, and not what I want it to.

    Learn how to use our KB tags! -||- Ken's Excel Website -||- Ken's Excel Forums -||- My Blog -||- Excel Training Calendar

    This is a shameless plug for my new book "RibbonX - Customizing the Office 2007 Ribbon". Find out more about it here!

    Help keep VBAX clean! Use the 'Thread Tools' menu to mark your own threads solved!





  6. #6
    VBAX Mentor XL-Dennis's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2004
    Location
    ?stersund, Sweden
    Posts
    499
    Location
    I appreciate that we can agree to disagree on things
    Life would be very boring if everyone agreed with everyone

    Kind regards,
    Dennis

  7. #7
    VBAX Master stanl's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,141
    Location
    Hey Dennis... looking forward to your lead with Vista issues and applications... Stan

    Life would be very boring if everyone agreed with everyone
    Yeah! that and the 11th Commandment.

  8. #8
    Moderator VBAX Guru Ken Puls's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Nanaimo, BC, Canada
    Posts
    4,001
    Location
    Quote Originally Posted by XL-Dennis
    Life would be very boring if everyone agreed with everyone
    Progress and inventions would be at a much slower rate too, I'm thinking.
    Ken Puls, CMA - Microsoft MVP (Excel)
    I hate it when my computer does what I tell it to, and not what I want it to.

    Learn how to use our KB tags! -||- Ken's Excel Website -||- Ken's Excel Forums -||- My Blog -||- Excel Training Calendar

    This is a shameless plug for my new book "RibbonX - Customizing the Office 2007 Ribbon". Find out more about it here!

    Help keep VBAX clean! Use the 'Thread Tools' menu to mark your own threads solved!





  9. #9
    Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    25,229
    Location
    Quote Originally Posted by XL-Dennis
    Life would be very boring if everyone agreed with everyone
    I don't agree with that.

  10. #10
    VBAX Mentor XL-Dennis's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2004
    Location
    ?stersund, Sweden
    Posts
    499
    Location
    Hey Dennis... looking forward to your lead with Vista issues and applications... Stan
    Stan

    Good to see You around here

    I'm pleased that I don't have any hair left as it would otherwise be gone with Vista
    Some things to note:
    - Don't install Vista on laptops unless they are equipped with Dual Core and 1 GB RAM.
    - Don't install Vista on any computers which are connected to printers, scanners etc that require vendor depended drivers.
    - Don't install Vista on computers that are supposed to work with managed COM Add-ins created with VSTO.
    - Avoid the Ultimate version as this will propably be the less used & documented version of Vista and therefore little experience will be available.
    - Wait to install any version of Vista until the SP-1 or even better SP-2 is available and where it's confirmed that the actual SP work as expected (from independed trustworthy sources).

    Perhaps we can disagree on some of the items above

    Enjoy the upcoming computer free weekend

    Take care,
    Dennis

  11. #11
    VBAX Mentor XL-Dennis's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2004
    Location
    ?stersund, Sweden
    Posts
    499
    Location
    Quote Originally Posted by xld
    I don't agree with that.
    - Perhaps that comes with aging
    Kind regards,
    Dennis

    ExcelKB | .NET & Excel | 2nd edition PED


  12. #12
    Moderator VBAX Guru Aussiebear's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Queensland
    Posts
    3,856
    Location
    Quote Originally Posted by xld
    I don't agree with that.


    Good one Bob!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •