Consulting

Thread: Aussiebear

Aussiebear

I've just read the other intro's, and its left me feeling like I'm a hollow man.

Just turned 50 and struggling with life, ( three late teenage daughters does that to you, you know), I chanced upon this forum because of a work related issue, and its like there's a whole new meaning to existence.

I was the typical rural Aussie, worked hard physically day in day out, but not much to show for all the effort. Can operate most things, and if not was willing to have a go ( hell I've even gone parachuting for a dare). Operator tickets in Dozers, Graders, Excavators, Loaders, skidsteers, backhoes, semi trailers, unrestricted single engine VFR Private pilots licence with tail wheel endorsement. Still not enough to get me a better paying job in the mines, so then I started to get interested in Excel.

Firefytr got me out of a sticky employment situation by showing me a few things in Excel and it was like someone opening a door to whole new world.

I started to ask some questions and those on the forum quietly showed me that it was more than possible. As of last thursday I was called into a meeting with the Company's Group IT Manager, two local IT managers, The Feedlot Manager, and my Supervisor, and was asked to explain every thing about the Grain Testing & Residue Sampling workbook. ( And I mean everything). Apparently senior management of the Company took notice of some pertinent comments made by the Auditors of the National Feedlot Competition regarding the QA potential of what I had "developed". The truth here is I may have dreamt of it, but you guys made it happen.

Anyway the end result of the meeting was that, they're impressed and... they're going to copy it, as a progress written database, and send it out to all the feedlots in the company. In fact not just the 7 feedlots but it will also be modified slightly to include all the meat residue testing programs from the 4 abattoirs as well. Its going Australia wide. The irony of it all is... I got a quiet pat on the backafter the meeting was over, and was told to get back to work.

They're stealing my "baby" from me. I feel gutted.

Anyhow that's enough crying.... I'm also a golf, cricket and fishing nut who loves gardening, and have a weird sence of humour. So if any of you are down this way, feel free to call in, and I'll show you some dinky di Aussie hospitallity.

Ted

...The truth here is I may have dreamt of it, but you guys made it happen.

Anyway the end result of the meeting was that, they're impressed and... The irony of it all is... I got a quiet pat on the back after the meeting was over, and was told to get back to work.
    Glad to know a little more about you Ted. The portions of your intro that I copied above sounds a bit too familiar to a number of us. I guess you just have to look at these situations and be glad they gave a quiet pat on the back and not a swift kick in the arse.

Regards,
    Brandtrock

Honestly, I think you should be pretty proud. As much as you credit others, it takes your hands and mind to make it happen and pull the pieces together. And while they may have decided to share your baby, there will be others. Trust me on that.
    Ken Puls, CMA - Microsoft MVP (Excel)
    I hate it when my computer does what I tell it to, and not what I want it to.

Learn how to use our KB tags! -||- Ken's Excel Website -||- Ken's Excel Forums -||- My Blog -||- Excel Training Calendar

This is a shameless plug for my new book "RibbonX - Customizing the Office 2007 Ribbon". Find out more about it here!

Help keep VBAX clean! Use the 'Thread Tools' menu to mark your own threads solved!

I had some help on a couple of others ( Farm Timesheets, and an Electrical contractor Workbook) which are in use within the company. The Farm timesheets one which Malcolm made functional, was "borrowed" by the Office Manager. He tried to tell the Feedlot Accountant it was his, but was quickly refuted as the accountant already knew that I had presented it for use.

The electrical contractor's one is designed to allow all Supervisors to enter work requests and have a single person monitor the work progress and or mark it as completed. I've since modified if to allow the HR/OHS officer to use it as a means of monitoring the progress of all OHS issues.

Now I'm toying with a calendar control, which you referred to as coded by Leif, but want to adapt it to show more as a diary type function. So get ready for some wild questions....

Administrator
    2nd VP-Knowledge Base
    I had some help on a couple of others ( Farm Timesheets, and an Electrical contractor Workbook) which are in use within the company. The Farm timesheets one which Malcolm made functional, was "borrowed" by the Office Manager. He tried to tell the Feedlot Accountant it was his, but was quickly refuted as the accountant already knew that I had presented it for use.
    Really glad to hear this part. What a jerk trying to reap the benefits / credit off your hard work. I'm glad he got the sand kicked in his face that he deserved.

Sounds like since your first "baby" you've channelled your accomplishments to the right areas. Try to stay on top of things in that respect. I'm sure you will.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Puls
    Honestly, I think you should be pretty proud. As much as you credit others, it takes your hands and mind to make it happen and pull the pieces together. And while they may have decided to share your baby, there will be others. Trust me on that.
    Ken hit the nail on the head here. You should be proud of those accomplishments, it's a great stepping stone in this new "world" as you put it.

It's great to have you here and to be able to help you out, Ted. I look forward to those "wild questions"

New to the forum? Check out our Introductions section to get to know some of the members here. Feel free to tell us a little about yourself as well.

Site Admin
    Urban Myth
    VBAX Guru

I've gotta say, I'm really glad you've become a part of this place. As I've always said, we are who we are because of who we have (well, mostly in other words though). You are a part of the VBAX community, and we [VBAX] are a part of the larger Office/VBA community. It's great people who make great things happen.

It has been a pleasure to know and work with you. I hope you stick around for a while, keep us company.

I'm slowly but surely being shaped into a vba user, so for thos eof you who thought the hard is over...... don't read on...

Cause I'm here to learn heaps more!!
    Remember To Do the Following....
    Use [Code].... [/Code] tags when posting code to the thread.
    Mark your thread as Solved if satisfied by using the Thread Tools options.
    If posting the same issue to another forum please show the link

Administrator
    VP-Knowledge Base VBAX Grand Master mdmackillop's Avatar
    Cause I'm here to learn heaps more!!
    As long as you're learning, we're happy to keep helping!
    MVP (Excel 2008-2010)

Post a workbook with sample data and layout if you want a quicker solution.

To help indent your macros try Smart Indent

Please remember to mark threads 'Solved'

Operator tickets in Dozers,
    God! I remember the first time I ran a Dozer, moved it and forgot the Street Pads; my boss got fined for me tearing up a County Road.

Seriosly, my wife always wanted to see Australia. We have finally paid off our house, I'm unemployed [can't even get a job as a suicide bomber] - want to swap? Your daughters would probably love the Raleigh - Duke, UNC and NC State - we're 2 hours from the ocean or the mountains. Stan

Tempting. I'm 2 hrs from the ocean, up on the great diving range ( more of a small hill when compared to the Rockies). There's a few things you need to know before we can accept your membership as an honorary Aussie.

1. When we play football, we go flat out for 40 minutes at a time. ( and there's no helmets!)
    2. We don't murder shrimps on the barbecue. We use prawns.
    3. Voting is compulsory.
    4. We don't pay too much attention to persons of Authority
    4 An "All Black" is a Kiwi not an Aboriginal
    5. A Pom is an English person
    6. "Handbrake" is a term of endearment for the wife.
    7. You drink in "shouts" with your mates.
    8. You'll need to be able to quote statistics about some form of sport as far back as when the bears were bad, but not be able to name the Premiers of more than two states.
    9. At family barbeques, you need to play cricket. ( bowl a maiden over, field at long on..sneak a single and stand at square leg).
    10. You'll need to be able to speak strine. (Do a Google search).

.... and you'll have to lose that accent.

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar
    God! I remember the first time I ran a Dozer, moved it and forgot the Street Pads; my boss got fined for me tearing up a County Road.

Seriosly, my wife always wanted to see Australia. We have finally paid off our house, I'm unemployed [can't even get a job as a suicide bomber] - want to swap? Your daughters would probably love the Raleigh - Duke, UNC and NC State - we're 2 hours from the ocean or the mountains. Stan
    Stan,

have you ever thought about home swap for a holiday? Good way to see another country and keep the costs down.

1. When we play football, we go flat out for 40 minutes at a time. ( and there's no helmets!)
    I've never seen Harry Kewell or Mark Viduka do 5 minutes flat-out, let alone 40!

shrimplike
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussiebear
    2. We don't murder shrimps on the barbecue. We use prawns.
    (Science: zoology) Any one of numerous species of large crustacea having slender legs and long antennae. They mostly belong to the genera Pandalus, Palaemon, Palaemonetes, and Peneus, and are much used as food.

The name is often applied to any large shrimp.

4 An "All Black" is a Kiwi not an Aboriginal
    A vastly superior rugby playing Kiwi.

5. A Pom is an English person
    I thought you called us sir.

7. You drink in "shouts" with your mates.
    You need something to mask that dishwater beer.

9. At family barbeques, you need to play cricket. ( bowl a maiden over, field at long on..sneak a single and stand at square leg).
    Best to put Yanks at third man

Tempting. I'm 2 hrs from the ocean, up on the great diving range ( more of a small hill when compared to the Rockies). There's a few things you need to know before we can accept your membership as an honorary Aussie.
    Thanks, saved me from renting Crocodile Dundee DVD's. It would be simpler for you:

How to shout "Carolina Sucks"
    Appreciation for Down-East Barbeque
    Speak fluently, as in "It's ratchair"

I've never seen Harry Kewell or Mark Viduka do 5 minutes flat-out, let alone 40!
    Hmmm.. please do not confuse that round ball rubbish with Union.

A vastly superior rugby playing Kiwi.
    There was a time when we could beat them...

I thought you called us sir.
    Tell her Majesty to get busy, cause I'm not calling a Pom "Sir" unless he knighted

You need something to mask that dishwater beer.
    Crikey... That's below the belt Bob.

Best to put Yanks at third man
    Short leg might help to keep their eyes open, me thinks...

Hmmm.. please do not confuse that round ball rubbish with Union.
    Oh sorry, I thought you were actually talking about Rules footie.

There was a time when we could beat them...
    Blimey, you are old ...

Tell her Majesty to get busy, cause I'm not calling a Pom "Sir" unless he knighted
    Personally, I wouldn't even call them sir.

Crikey... That's below the belt Bob.
    And what you are doing to the English cricket team isn't?. Anyway, try the amber English ales, and you will see what I mean.

Short leg might help to keep their eyes open, me thinks...
    Might make them run away
    Last edited by Bob Phillips; 01-20-2007 at 08:50 AM.

Hi Aussiebear.
    I live in Sydney and was born Victoria. I am confussed If it's not the round ball rubbish It has to be Aussie Rules. Rugby isn't a game. I guess what our American brothers play isn't either.
    You run 10 meters(yards) Forward to throw the ball backwards. Why not just stand still and play catch.
    Cheers

Yes well, given that you live in the South East of Australia.... its perfectly understandable, given that where England landed most its offcasts. Union is a code handed down by God himself.

The fact that we were cast out of England. Are you telling me thats a bad thing? God hands down things for a couple of reasons. Do you think Union may have been a punishment or just Gods sense of humour?