Consulting

Thread: Change number formatting of a table

VBAX Newbie
    Change number formatting of a table

I am trying to mail merge from an Excel spreadsheet in Excel 2002. Some of the fields in excel have values that I have changed to precision as displayed. A value of 834.90 came across as a value of 834.899999999. Even when I went back into the spreadsheet and manually changed the value to 834.9, it still comes across as 834.89999999. How do I change the formating in the table so that it reflects commas and two decimal places. I am able to do formulas on other numbers in the table that add numbers together and those will format properly. What I need to do is to format stand alone numbers.
    Last edited by Jacob Hilderbrand; 06-09-2004 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Better description of problem needed

Site Admin
    The Princess
    I explained to Holly bvbax (before she came to vbax, LOL) that she can use the ROUND formula in Excel.

However, I don't know if that is desired in the worksheet itself. Holly?

If it is NOT, then we need a solution where Holly can copy/paste to Word with the 2-decimal format. Anyone?

I really think this is more of an Excel solution, though. If anyone else agrees, we'll move it to that forum.

Welcome, Holly!
    ~Anne Troy

Site Admin
    Urban Myth
    VBAX Guru
    yeah, i think it's probably an excel solution also. i'm under the impression (w/ Precision as Displayed) that it won't change your actual Values, but the way your formulas use those Values in the functions themselves.

personally i'd use the ROUND function (but i'm a formula guy, and your at a vba website!), so you could find a vba solution! i guess it depends which way you want to go imho.

Site Admin
    The Princess VBAX Guru Anne Troy's Avatar
    Dork. I told her she could ask non-vba Qs here too, LOL!!

~Anne Troy

Just a thought - Precision as Displayed only affects Numbers (but DOES permanently change them). if the Cells are formatted as General it won't have any effect (and it might need the workbook saving before it fully takes effect even then)

VBAX Newbie
    This problem is acknowledged by Microsoft and they provide a fix for this.

Click here.

I knew it had to do with the DDE and OLE options - great find Deb!
    Joanne