Consulting

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Concept only required

Concept only required

At work, our negiotations for a pay increase have gone pear shaped. So the Company has proposed that it will implement a pay scale based on performance criteria. Now I can live with this, in fact i except the challange of reaching the top performance level.

My question therefore is this:

Given that there is approximately 30 criteria over several different areas, should I design a multi tabbed form in which each individual is evaluated, and this form then records to a flat file or is there a more effecient method of recording and reviewing the data on each employee?

I'm not looking for any specific code right now, but would appreciate any ideas that I could follow up as a project. Oh BTW.. I want to do this in Excel only, if you don't mind.

Ted
    Remember To Do the Following....
    Use [Code].... [/Code] tags when posting code to the thread.
    Mark your thread as Solved if satisfied by using the Thread Tools options.
    If posting the same issue to another forum please show the link

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar
    Ted, I don't think there is enough detail yet to offer any sensible advice. A form might be good, but it might be overkill. A worksheet table might be all that is needed.

Yep, you are right. Let me think about it a bit more.

I'm just ping'ing in on this, as I'd like to see how it develops. While I agree with Bob on the level of detail right now, I can't envision how you'd attach a userform aspect. I see tables for some reason.
    Ken Puls, CMA - Microsoft MVP (Excel)
    I hate it when my computer does what I tell it to, and not what I want it to.

Learn how to use our KB tags! -||- Ken's Excel Website -||- Ken's Excel Forums -||- My Blog -||- Excel Training Calendar

This is a shameless plug for my new book "RibbonX - Customizing the Office 2007 Ribbon". Find out more about it here!

Help keep VBAX clean! Use the 'Thread Tools' menu to mark your own threads solved!

Administrator
    VP-Knowledge Base
    Here's a simple userform which could show skills. weightings and performance with some calculation to produce an end result. (Don't try and make sense of the figures). By adding in some adjustment e.g.
    [VBA]If Forename = "Ted" then Result = Result * 1.3[/VBA], I'm sure a satisfactory solution can be achieved.
    MVP (Excel 2008-2010)

Post a workbook with sample data and layout if you want a quicker solution.

To help indent your macros try Smart Indent

Please remember to mark threads 'Solved'

Fair enough, Malcolm, but I'm trying to envision 30 measures in the uf...

Learn how to use our KB tags! -||- Ken's Excel Website -||- Ken's Excel Forums -||- My Blog -||- Excel Training Calendar

This is a shameless plug for my new book "RibbonX - Customizing the Office 2007 Ribbon". Find out more about it here!

Help keep VBAX clean! Use the 'Thread Tools' menu to mark your own threads solved!

Administrator
    VP-Knowledge Base VBAX Grand Master mdmackillop's Avatar
    Multipage, with one page for each "area" maybe.
    MVP (Excel 2008-2010)

Personally, I'll reserve judgement on the userform. It would certainly give a more 'sexy' feel, but I wonder if it would lose some needed functionality too. (Of course, that could be a good thing as well.)

It will be interesting to see how Ted's ideas sort of pan out. Actually, I'm most interested in seeing how the measures actually break down.

Administrator
    Just speculating, but it may be that with different "areas", different people make the assessments, in which case the relevant information only is presented.

Another thing to be considered in the design, Ted, is whether this will form an ongoing record, with successive years to be saved alongside.
    MVP (Excel 2008-2010)

Okay, so based on that last point by Malcolm about multiple years (which is a great consideration), I start thinking database. Why do you want to keep it all in Excel, Ted? I'm just curious here, and I'm not saying that it can't be done in Excel either. As long as we're all musing on this, though...

At this stage work is talking about employee reviews every three months. I've seen a prototype which was done in Excel and it was simply rows and rows of data. I thought of a multipage type form as a method of breaking down the entry of information into relevent areas.

A Stockperson for example would be evaluated on the following main points.
    Pen riding, Induction, Kill, Hospital, Horse husbandry and General presentation.

Pen riding gets broken down into the following; Observation of stock, selection and cutting of stock, Recognition of illnesses, and team work. Induction includes Tagging, injections, mouthing, computer skills, team work etc. KIll would include Drafting of cattle, Counting, Identification of lines of cattle, Horse work, team work, Communications, Computer skills, Paper work etc. I won't bore you with the rest of the breakdowns. Up to four supervisors will be evaluating each employee in each of the areas and and average score worked out between them and entered against each of the 16 employees currently working as stockpersons.

The concept is being considered in Excel as most people at work can work with Excel easily. However a database would have the advantage of being able to track the performance of an Employee over a significant period of time, but then so too would a Workbook with one sheet per employee I guess.

I'm open to all ideas at this stage.

Personally, even if using Excel as a datastore, I would never add one person per sheet, it makes life too difficult. I would capture the data. either form or a customised worksheet, store all data in a flat file type structure, and provide a viewing facility that gets the data from the flat file. You could use SQL or more conventional techniques to retrieve it, then format as required.

Fair enough. Does this mean I've got out of usng Access?

MD, Further to your suggestion of a multipage, can a multipage form be written to on each page and have just a single save command button, say on the main page?

I'm in the process of contsructing a multipage form and at this stage have just a simple Previous and Next command buttons for use once I've added data to each page.

Sure, Ted. Just put the button within the first page and it will be applicable to that page only. To use the buttons over and over again, place them on the form outside the multipage control.

Administrator
    You can put contols on or off the pages
    MVP (Excel 2008-2010)

OKay I've got the basics "nearly right" as to the multipage form but am not having any success with the ability to move between pages. I've added Next and Previous buttons to each of the pages, in the belief that I could move between pages after the required data has been entered but this is not happening.

Could someone please suggest what I've done wrong, so I can correct the code.

Administrator
    Check your button names. eg Next on General is cboNext, I think it should be cbogenNext. Also your command for that name is missing _Click
    MVP (Excel 2008-2010)