Consulting

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Concept only required

VBAX Regular

I hope you don't mind me butting in, however, I'd be really interested in GG's ideas on viewing employee history
    Kindest Regards,
    Mike

I love to Excel

Moderator VBAX Master geekgirlau's Avatar
    Okay, a couple of thoughts spring to mind ...
    • Each time you record the results of an employee review, it would be helpful to have an additional range that just lists the employee name and the review date. You can then have a new page on the user form that has a combo box for the employee name (from the reviews recorded) and a list box showing all reviews recorded for that employee, which is populated each time up select an employee name.
    • Calling up the review basically requires that you reverse the process of recording the results in the first place. You would have to loop through the data in the Emp History sheet to grab all records matching the selected Employee and review date, and stick the score into the relevant combo box.
    • I would also recommend that all the controls be locked if displaying a previous review, so that the data can't be changed.
    Hope this is enough to get you thinking!

VBAX Regular

Basic user here

I understand the setup, controls and processes but, unlike aussiebear, my trouble is with the coding
    Kindest Regards,
    Mike

I love to Excel

I've had a bit of a play with this, and I'm now leaning towards using a sheet to call up and print the results of the evaluation.

What I would suggest is that you have a protected sheet where the only cells the user can change are the name of the Employee and the review date (both of which would need to be combo boxes). You could then display each section, sub-section and question, and use a lookup to capture the score given for each question.

The History sheet might require a key reference field that can be used with VLookup - maybe concatenating the employee name, date and question number.

By the way bear, this would be WAAAAAAAYYYYY easier in Access IMHO ...

I understand the setup, controls and processes but, unlike aussiebear, my trouble is with the coding
    That's not a mirror you're looking at mate, that me tearing my hair out because of the code as well.

I swear GG has done this just to torment me.
    Remember To Do the Following....
    Use [Code].... [/Code] tags when posting code to the thread.
    Mark your thread as Solved if satisfied by using the Thread Tools options.
    If posting the same issue to another forum please show the link

By the way bear, this would be WAAAAAAAYYYYY easier in Access IMHO ...
    Just when I thought it was safe to go in the water, you go and mention the "A" word....
    I've spent months trying to dodge using Access and up till now I've sort of got away with it. (Say GG, you're not related to the PM are you?)

You've probably noticed that my approach to this is very database-like anyway. Whilst you can do amazing database type stuff in Excel, when you're creating controls on the fly it can start to get a little hairy.

In terms of recalling the history, I think the simplest approach will be via a sheet, which also solves the potential issue whereby there is no easy way to print the results at this point. It needs a lookup from the History sheet by Employee name and date.

However bear, your mission (should you choose to accept it, and after the Excel version is working to your satisfaction) is to have a go at developing this in the dreaded "A". This is an excellent example to cut your teeth on - very few tables and forms, and you know the end result that you are working towards. There are lots of us here to give you pointers along your journey of discovery, and I think you might actually enjoy it!

Go on - is you a mouse or a bear?

I've a small confession to make GG, I went to Access 2007 last night and its all sort of changed. Where does one make a start?

I mean its like being in a new town, so you think I'll just drop into the local bar for a couple whilst I pick up a few pionters as to where to go. Well after quite a few you step out outside and you have trouble rememebering which way it is to the car.