Consulting

Thread: Merge Data from 2 lists into 1 without duplicates

VBAX Newbie
    Merge Data from 2 lists into 1 without duplicates

New to VBA and new to vbaexpress.com so please be kind!!!

Our company uses a piece of software that will generate reports in an Excel format. I am generating two different reports that have the same format but different data. when the reports are generated the system creates a unique name each time. I am copying the data using Paste Special (Values) to two different sheets in the same workbook. The first sheet is named Female and the second is named Male. I need to consolidate Female and Male into a master list named Treatment Prices without duplicates. I can copy all of Female to Treatment Prices and then would like to compare Male and append those rows that are not present to the end of Treatment Prices. Then when finished appending I would like to resort the list.

Column b is the Description which is unique to the list. and column F contains the price that I need in the consolidated list as well.

The range always starts on row 10 and the ending range will vary. The description "TREATMENT TOTAL" is always present in Column B 2 rows after the last item.

I assume that the routine would calculate the range of items for Female and copy columns B and F to Treatment Prices. Then it would look at each item in Male and look to see if it is present on Treatment Prices. If it is it would continnue to the next item, if not it would add a new item containing the description and the price to Treatment Prices and search again. When finished appending items, the list would be resorted in ascending order.

Hope this makes sense and Thanks in advance for your help.

John

Try this John...best I can do without seeing your spreadsheet. Change the names of the sheets to match yours. this will combine the first sheet with the second and removed duplicates and sort all starting at row 10:
    [VBA]Option Explicit
    Sub CopyAndRemoveDups()
    Dim cl As Range
    Dim ws As Worksheet
    Dim x As Long
    Dim LastRow As Long
    Dim rng As Range
    Dim rngToDelete As Range

Set ws = Worksheets("query")
    With ws

For Each cl In .Range("B10:B" & .Range("A65536").End(xlUp).Row)
    If cl.Value <> "" Then
    cl.EntireRow.Copy Worksheets("data").Range("A65536").End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0)
    End If
    Next cl
    End With

Set ws = Worksheets("data")
    'Advanced Filter requires a header row - let's add a temporary one
    ws.Rows(1).Insert
    ws.Cells(1, 1).Value = "temp header"

Set rng = ws.Range("A10:A10000")
    rng.AdvancedFilter xlFilterInPlace, unique:=True
    Set rngToDelete = rng.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible)
    ws.ShowAllData
    rngToDelete.EntireRow.Hidden = True
    rng.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible).EntireRow.Delete
    rngToDelete.EntireRow.Hidden = False

'remove the temporary row
    ws.Rows(1).Delete
    'sort
    Range("A10:K600").Select
    Selection.Sort Key1:=Range("A10"), Order1:=xlAscending, Header:=xlGuess, _
    OrderCustom:=1, MatchCase:=False, Orientation:=xlTopToBottom, _
    DataOption1:=xlSortNormal
    Range("A1").Select
    End Sub[/VBA]
    Steve
    "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
    -Abraham Lincoln

VBAX Newbie

Wow, that was fast. I spent the last two days trying my best to figure out how to accomplish it within Excel in the absence of VBA. I look forward to working with your code to gain an understanding of how you are accomplishing it.

Thanks again and I'm sure I'll have a question or two about it!!!!

John

No problem John....mostly stuff I put together from real coders here at the forum. If that worked you can mark your thread solved using thread tools at the top of the page. You can still post followup questions at any time.
    Steve
    "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
    -Abraham Lincoln