Consulting

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Solved: Setting using Personal workbook to store settings

VBAX Master

It is working great but now I am trying to use the settings to not show a user form if the user never wants to. Here is the code I have tested:

[VBA]If GetSetting("Business Reporting Today", "DetailTab", "Dont Show") = True Then
    Organize.Hide
    End If[/VBA]

This would be great if I can get this to work

Administrator
    VP-Knowledge Base
    You can set the frame tag value using the option buttons, then you just have one value to check. You can also set the initial optionbutton values based on a fixed or retrieved value. eg
    [VBA]Private Sub UserForm_Initialize()
    x = 3
    Me.Controls("OptionButton" & x) = True
    End Sub

Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
    MsgBox Frame1.Tag
    End Sub

Private Sub OptionButton1_Click()
    If OptionButton1 Then Frame1.Tag = 1
    End Sub
    Private Sub OptionButton2_Click()
    If OptionButton2 Then Frame1.Tag = 2
    End Sub
    Private Sub OptionButton3_Click()
    If OptionButton3 Then Frame1.Tag = 3
    End Sub

[/VBA]
    MVP (Excel 2008-2010)

Post a workbook with sample data and layout if you want a quicker solution.

To help indent your macros try Smart Indent

Please remember to mark threads 'Solved'

VBAX Master
    Mdmack that looks promising to cut down on typing but how can I use that with the registry settings? Also, how can I let my users set options that would affect code directly? Ex:

I want to let my users set it so a userform will not show. Here is the code I tested:

[VBA]
    If GetSetting("Business Reporting Today", "DetailTab", "Dont Show") = True Then
    Organize.Hide
    End If
    [/VBA]

I am running that code in the initialize for that form but it still shows. However I do not get an error.

Administrator
    VP-Knowledge Base VBAX Grand Master mdmackillop's Avatar
    MVP (Excel 2008-2010)

VBAX Master

I originally want to show the code because it loads the settings that the user wants and then it hides the form.

Administrator
    VP-Knowledge Base VBAX Grand Master mdmackillop's Avatar
    As far as I can see Hide does nothing and Visible is not valid. You could set Height and Width to 0, but that leaves the Caption bar.
    I've no knowledge what you are using the settings for, what applies to the form, or the workbook, or the interaction between them, or really what you are trying to achieve.
    MVP (Excel 2008-2010)

VBAX Master
    I have a form that pops up for what invoices the user wants to delete and a few other options. However certain users will want to set these defaults and never see the form again but some people might always want to see the form. Also, hide I use in other situations which hides the form from sight.

VBAX Master
    Before showing the form, check the value of "Dont Show".
    [VBA]If GetSetting("Business Reporting Today", "DetailTab", "Dont Show") <> True Then
    Organize.show
    End If [/VBA]Charlize

VBAX Master

That is how I am doing it now, I just have to change the logic a little.

VBAX Master
    One last thing I am trying to do is at a later time I want to save one setting equal to another setting. To explain, I want to read the first setting and then set the second setting equal to the first setting. Is this possible?

VBAX Master
    I still can't find a way to mark a thread unsolved. Can someone do it for me? thank you

edit the title and save changes
    Steve
    "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
    -Abraham Lincoln

VBAX Master

Thank you for your help but I don't have an edit thread under thread tools

Steve
    "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
    -Abraham Lincoln

VBAX Master

VBAX Master
    I am just reposting this to move it to the bottom:

One last thing I am trying to do is at a later time I want to save one setting equal to another setting. To explain, I want to read the first setting and then set the second setting equal to the first setting. Is this possible?

The reason I want to do this is My users will have their own defaults but then if one day they need to run a lot of reports with the same options (That are different than their defaults), I don't want them to have to go into settings to change their defaults and then when they are done go back to change them into their normal defaults. I am adding a check box to the bottem to reuse the settings they have chosen on the form and then to go back to their defaults they just uncheck it.

VBAX Master

So... what you're trying to do is create an "options" screen that your users can go to so that they can set defaults, but then not be bothered with seeing them unless they want to change them? Is that right?

You could use a multipage control for that. I usually would put a button on the main page for "Options" that takes you to page 2. Add a button to page 2 labelled "Home" or something that takes you back to page one. Then hide the tabs at design time. Can work quite slick.

Is that the kind of thing you meant?
    Ken Puls, CMA - Microsoft MVP (Excel)
    I hate it when my computer does what I tell it to, and not what I want it to.

Learn how to use our KB tags! -||- Ken's Excel Website -||- Ken's Excel Forums -||- My Blog -||- Excel Training Calendar

This is a shameless plug for my new book "RibbonX - Customizing the Office 2007 Ribbon". Find out more about it here!

Help keep VBAX clean! Use the 'Thread Tools' menu to mark your own threads solved!

VBAX Master
    No, but close Ken. The options they go to the help drop down and then Options to set the options. But now if they are running reports that all have the same options I want to include a check box on the bottom of the screen that they can check and it will save them for the next time the form opens up but if it is unchecked it will load the default from the settings page.

Where is the help dropdown, exactly? Is this the help menu, or on your userform. I assume that you've got this set to store the registry settings already?

As for reading the stuff and setting the defaults, you'd set your defaults in the Userform_Intialize event. Or did I miss something?
    Ken Puls, CMA - Microsoft MVP (Excel)
    I hate it when my computer does what I tell it to, and not what I want it to.

Learn how to use our KB tags! -||- Ken's Excel Website -||- Ken's Excel Forums -||- My Blog -||- Excel Training Calendar

This is a shameless plug for my new book "RibbonX - Customizing the Office 2007 Ribbon". Find out more about it here!

Help keep VBAX clean! Use the 'Thread Tools' menu to mark your own threads solved!