Consulting

Thread: Solved: Pulling hair here... :D

Angry Solved: Pulling hair here... :D

DISCLAIMER: total VBA n00b

I want to define a Range to use as a DataSource for an Excel Chart, but I believe I'm having access qualification issues.

What I have now (that works) is this ugly thing:

LastUsedLine = Sheets("Pivot Chart").Cells.Find(What:="*", SearchDirection:=xlPrevious, SearchOrder:=xlByRows).Row 

Charts.Add 
        ActiveChart.ChartType = xlLineMarkers 

ActiveChart.SetSourceData Source:=Sheets("Pivot Chart").Range("A2:B" & LastUsedLine), _ 
            PlotBy:=xlColumns
    This gives me a "hand built" range, but I was hoping to use something more elegant, like:
    LastUsedLine = Sheets("Pivot Chart").Cells.Find(What:="*", SearchDirection:=xlPrevious, SearchOrder:=xlByRows).Row 

Charts.Add 

ActiveChart.SetSourceData Source:=Sheets("Pivot Chart").Range(Cells(2, 1), Cells(LastUsedLine, 2)), _ 
    But I get an error 1004, "Method "Cells" of object "_Global" failed".I'm missing something to bind the Cells to my sheet or something, right? Right?

Thank you for your time and any replies!

[vba]LastUsedLine = Sheets("Pivot Chart").Cells.Find(What:="*", SearchDirection:=xlPrevious, SearchOrder:=xlByRows).Row

Charts.Add

With Sheets("Pivot Chart")
    ActiveChart.SetSourceData Source:=Range(.Cells(2, 1), .Cells(LastUsedLine, 2)), _
    End With[/vba]
    Ken Puls, CMA - Microsoft MVP (Excel)
    I hate it when my computer does what I tell it to, and not what I want it to.

Learn how to use our KB tags! -||- Ken's Excel Website -||- Ken's Excel Forums -||- My Blog -||- Excel Training Calendar

This is a shameless plug for my new book "RibbonX - Customizing the Office 2007 Ribbon". Find out more about it here!

Help keep VBAX clean! Use the 'Thread Tools' menu to mark your own threads solved!

It is not working because you have not specified the sheet for the second cell. For example:
    [vba]Sheets("Pivot Chart").Range(Cells(2, 1), Sheets("Pivot Chart").Cells(LastUsedLine, 2))[/vba]

When you don't specify the sheet for a range, VBA defaults to treating it as a range on the currently active sheet. So the first cell (cells(2,1)) is correctly referenced as being on the Pivot Chart sheet, but the second cell (cells(LastUsedLine, 2)) does not have a qualifier and VBA is defaulting to thinking you are referencing the active sheet for that.

But really, I wouldn't say that your second example is any less "elegant" than the first--they're doing the exact same thing, just with slightly different code (and with the first example, you don't have to specify the sheet twice ).

Thumbs up

It worked!! Thanks!

But really, I wouldn't say that your second example is any less "elegant" than the first--they're doing the exact same thing, just with slightly different code
    I would tend to agree there. The other thing to consider is that next month,/year when you're looking back on this to modify it, which is easier to read?
    Ken Puls, CMA - Microsoft MVP (Excel)
    I hate it when my computer does what I tell it to, and not what I want it to.

Learn how to use our KB tags! -||- Ken's Excel Website -||- Ken's Excel Forums -||- My Blog -||- Excel Training Calendar

This is a shameless plug for my new book "RibbonX - Customizing the Office 2007 Ribbon". Find out more about it here!

Help keep VBAX clean! Use the 'Thread Tools' menu to mark your own threads solved!

Quote Originally Posted by vonpookie
    But really, I wouldn't say that your second example is any less "elegant" than the first--they're doing the exact same thing, just with slightly different code (and with the first example, you don't have to specify the sheet twice ).
    I find it much more readable to have the range showing how it is being built on the range itself and not having it be "pre-processed". Also, the "&" operator usage in VBA is kinda obscene - it gets thrown around way too often and it's not immediate how it works.

Thanks for the technical info, and thanks for your help!