Consulting

Thread: Auto_open failure

VBAX Newbie
    Auto_open failure

HI I am trying to hide the active window in Excel, the code actually runs, but as soon as the last end sub runs the windows pops back again.

Sub Auto_Open()
    MsgBox "This ran!"
    Add_Workbook_Menu_And_Items
    End Sub
    Sub my_auto_open()
    Dim w As Window
    MsgBox "This ran2!"
    ' For Each w In Workbooks("Star_Plus_Hindi_MKII.xls").Windows
    ' w.Visible = False
    ' Next
    If ActiveWorkbook.Name = "Star_Plus_Hindi_MKII.xls" Then
    With Application
    .ActiveWindow.Visible = False 'HIDES THE ACTIVE WINDOW ONLY
    End With
    Workbooks("Star_Plus_Hindi_MKII.xls").Save
    End If
    MsgBox "This ran3!"
    End Sub

AS you can see I have tried a number of various way to get the window to stay hidden, all are failing.

Help

What do you mean by 'HIDES THE ACTIVE WINDOW ONLY
    do you mean sheet? or do you mean you have multiple workbooks open...?
    Steve
    "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Moderator VBAX Master geekgirlau's Avatar
    This needs to go in the "ThisWorkbook" module - tested in 2003

[VBA]Private Sub Workbook_Open()
    ActiveWindow.Visible = False
    End Sub
    [/VBA]

VBAX Newbie
    I need to hide the window that has the Auto_open sub in so that the users do not see the reference data.

And yes there will be more than likely multiple workbooks open.

I have tried the ActiveWindow.visible = False as well.

The problem I am having is that as soon as the last Exit Sub has been run the Window reappears "Pop"!!!!

So all of the code that I have posted runs but does not stay as I want it to....

Moderator VBAX Master geekgirlau's Avatar
    But have you tried running that line of code in the Workbook_Open event rather than Auto_Open? As I said, this worked for me in v2003.

Eh, Auto_Open has been supersuperseded by Workbook_Open.

I don't know if it will solve your problem but I suggest you take geekgirlau's advice.

VBAX Sage
    Actually you can still use both -- WB Open fires first, and then Auto_Open. But since WB Open is an event, if events are disabled (by another WB being open or bying turned off), it won't fire, although Auto_Open will

I know you can still use both.

But they don't act in exactly the same way.

I can't remember the exact details but there are occasions when Auto_Open won't be triggered when a workbook is opened.

I think it's only still supported for backward compatibility, the same as Excel 4 macros are.

VBAX Sage

Possibly it is only for backward compat, but I do know that there have been many times I've turned off events so that something like Worksheet_Change, etc. won't fire, but that also meant that any desired events wouldn't fire also

I assume that since EnableEvents is Application level, turning it off in one WB would disable it for any currently open or newly opened WB.

Administrator
    Chat VP
    While Auto_Open, Auto_Close, Auto_Activate, or Auto_Deactivate are provided mainly for backward compatibility (and also to allow you to write 'event-like' code for earlier excel versions), you can sometimes use the subtle differences between automacros and event procedures to your advantage.

For instance, Auto_open will not run if the workbook is opened by another macro, you must use the RunAutoMacros method to run it, so if you don't want a Workbook_Open event to run when opened by a macro you can use Auto_open instead. On the other hand, Workbook_open will run if the workbook is opened by a macro, you must then always remember to use Application.EnableEvents = False when using code to open that workbook and prevent it running, then put Application.EnableEvents back to true after it's open.

There are other reasons of course - and other quirks may sometimes be used to advantage. For instance Workbook_Open normally runs before Auto_Open EXCEPT when both Workbook_Open and Auto_Open procedures are used in a template - in that case (if i remember right) the order is reversed, Auto_Open runs first and Workbook_Open second, but once the template's saved as an ordinary file it reverts back to 'normal' - so if that's actually what you want to happen...
    You know you're really in trouble when the light at the end of the tunnel turns out to be the headlight of a train hurtling towards you

The major part of getting the right answer lies in asking the right question...

Made your code more readable, use VBA tags (this automatically inserts [vba] at the start of your code, and [/vba ] at the end of your code) | Help those helping you by marking your thread solved when it is.