Consulting

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: UsedRange, copy paste values?

UsedRange, copy paste values?

I have a dataset on a sheet in a different workbook, there are three columns separating the next set of data.

To make a very easy copy/paste, I wanted to use the Usedrange approach.

How does the usedrange know which range of data to use? I have not seen anything in the Help file that indicates this.

Also since I am using variables to qualify the worksheets my syntax is slightly different than the help file examples, and it fails:

[VBA]
    Sub Index_Records()
    Dim Wsb As Workbook
    Dim Wss As Worksheet, Wst As Worksheet
    Set Wss = Workbooks("MasterImportSheetWebStore.xls").Worksheets("DataEdited")
    Set Wst = Workbooks("TGSItemRecordCreatorMaster.xls").Worksheets("Record Creator")
    Wss.UsedRange.Copy Destinaton:=Wst("A1").Paste
    End Sub
    [/VBA]

thanks,

doug
    my site: www.ecboardco.com
    was built w/ a majority of the assistance from the board members here... thanks VBAX.

Just because I see something, doesn't mean that what's actually happening is what I see.

You don't get from 0-90 by standing still!

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar
    Excel keep track of the first used cell and the last used cell (badly in the latter case), so it is easy to figure out the UsedRange from this.

When using Copy Destination:=, you don't need to add .Paste.

Bob,
    no matter which syntax I use- fully qualified w/ the workbook and worksheet names or the variable names, I get the error message: Compile error: Named argument not found and it highlights Destination:=
    Wss.UsedRange.Copy Destinaton:=Wst.Range(1, 1)
    was built w/ a majority of the assistance from the board members here... thanks VBAX.

Just because I see something, doesn't mean that what's actually happening is what I see.

Moderator VBAX Guru Simon Lloyd's Avatar
    Excuse my ignorance here but shouldn't it be Destination:=Wst.Cells(1,1)?
    Regards,
    Simon
    Please read this before cross posting!
    In the unlikely event you didn't get your answer here try Microsoft Office Discussion @ The Code Cage
    If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.
    Isaac Newton, Letter to Robert Hooke, February 5, 1675 English mathematician & physicist (1642 - 1727)

Thanks Simon,
    That does work, but I had a very silly error, I had Destination spelled wrong.... I had it w/out an "i". That is why I was getting the named argument error.

Thanks Simon, Thanks Bob

One more question w/ regards to UsedRange.
    I was reading from a post on MrExcel.com from Ivan Moala that UsedRange is quirky and to help keep things straight he recommends to do this-
    Activesheet.UsedRange
    I used this while my source sheet was active, but not always the case where the ActiveSheet will be the source sheet, I did this:
    Wss.UsedRange
    But this returned an error: Invalid use of property
    Why does the first one work and the second one fail?

thanks,

Doug

Regards,
    Simon
    In the unlikely event you didn't get your answer here try Microsoft Office Discussion @ The Code Cage
    Isaac Newton, Letter to Robert Hooke, February 5, 1675 English mathematician & physicist (1642 - 1727)

Simon,
    I should have written more clearly, the source sheet will not always be the visible or activesheet. There can/will be times when the target sheet, Wst, will be active/visible.
    That is the reason for using something other than ActiveSheet.UsedRange

if you are specifying the worksheet i don't think it has to be the activesheet to use the UsedRange property,you cannot reference (AFAIK) a usedrange in a closed workbook. In your other workbooks you can set a named range to the used range automatically like this:
    [VBA] Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
    Dim Ur As String
    Ur= Me.UsedRange.Address
    Me.Range(Ur).Name = "MyRange"
    End Sub[/VBA]then perhaps you could reference a range like Sheets("Sheet1").Range("MyRange") but you will probably have to use ADO to read from a closed workbook!
    Regards,
    Simon

Thanks Simon,
    I hope I have not instructed you incorrectly. Both workbooks are open, so accessing the closed book is not an issue, yet....

I will work w/ your idea here.
    But in thinking about it, what the error message was- does not support this property, UsedRange is an all memory thing, as Bob pointed out. Since this is the case, using the statement Wss.UsedRange instead of ActiveSheet.UsedRange, fails now makes sense.
    The ActiveSheet and UsedRange are what Windows is seeing and the property does not support a qualified address. At least this seems like a reasonable explanation to me.

YLP if you use my suggestion with the named range thing it should never be a problem as the Usedrange is given a name everytime the worksheet is changed, therefore it will never be [VBA]ActiveSheet.UsedRange [/VBA]you reference with the name it will be [VBA]Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A1:B52") [/VBA]where A1:B52 was perhaps the last time tha named range was assigned so it looks like [VBA]Sheets("Sheet1").Range("MyRange") [/VBA]its not the usedrange anymore its an actual range....is that any clearer?
    So, using my suggestion you could use [VBA]Wss.Range("MyRange")[/VBA]
    Regards,
    Simon

Simon,
    If I follow, I would place your code in my Source Worksheet, which is "DataEdited", then run my code from a module?

Mycode:
    [VBA]
    Sub Index_Records()
    Dim Wbt As Workbook
    Dim Wss As Worksheet, Wst As Worksheet
    Dim LRow As Long
    Set Wbt = Workbooks("TGSItemRecordCreatorMaster.xls")
    Set Wss = Workbooks("MasterImportSheetWebStore.xls").Worksheets("DataEdited")
    Set Wst = Workbooks("TGSItemRecordCreatorMaster.xls").Worksheets("Dupe Finder")
    LRow = Wst.Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row
    Wst.Range("A1:I" & LRow).ClearContents
    'Wss.UsedRange
    'Wss.UsedRange.Copy Destination:=Wst.Cells(1, 1)
    'Wst.Range("A1:I").Value = Wss.UsedRange
    'Wbt.Wst ("A1")
    Wss.Range("MyRange").Copy Destination:=Wst.Cells(1, 1)
    End Sub
    [/VBA]

Knowledge Base Approver
    The King of Overkill!
    VBAX Master
    UsedRange is a range.. you'd get Invalid Use of Property is you tried doing something like [vba]wss.UsedRange[/vba]without anything else for it.. would be the same as just putting "Cells" on a line by itself.

Do you have a link to the mrexcel thread where Ivan talks about usedrange and problems with it? I use it frequently and have never come across an issue with it

FWIW, either of the following should work for you:[vba] Wss.UsedRange.Copy Wst.Range("A1")
    'or
    With Wss.UsedRange
    Wst.Range("A1").Resize(.Rows.Count, .Columns.Count).Value = .Value
    End With[/vba]Matt

Matt,
    Here is the link, it is the last of the posts on the page.
    http://www.mrexcel.com/archive/VBA/15835.html

I got locked out of the board today by trying to fix my email program. I just got back up and running.
    I was working on what you were helping me w/ y-day and will post there in a few.

thanks,

doug

Matt,
    Simon looks to be signed off. So that I can put one thing to bed, can you tell from Simon's code, where it is supposed to be stored and run?

Knowledge Base Approver
    The King of Overkill! VBAX Master
    I think Ivan might have been confused about what he was referring to, I'm guessing he was first talking about the SpecialCells(xlLastCell) which is definitely quirky, and can be reset by any call to the used range

Consider the following:[vba]Sub LastCellUsedRangeexample()
    'create 1 sheet workbook
    Workbooks.Add -4167
    MsgBox Cells.SpecialCells(xlLastCell).Address 'msgbox last cell's address
    'blank, so address is A1

'add something to a cell
    Range("J10").Value = "blah"
    'J10 now contains data, so it will be address

Range("AH2483").Value = "blah blah"
    'AH2483 now contains data, so it will be address

Range("AH2483").ClearContents
    'AH2483 no longer contains anything, but is still last cell since
    ' SpecialCells just looks at what was used

Dim x As Long
    'calling the usedrange (getting a .rows or .columns or .cells count
    ' doesnt actually do anything other than force excel to look at
    ' the sheet again
    x = ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Rows.Count
    'J10 is now the correct last cell since the sheet was 'refreshed'
    End Sub[/vba]Matt

This will take a little time to play with.
    Let me backtrack- Based on Ivan's post, what I thought was happening by having the line;
    Wss.UsedRange
    was sort of like setting the UsedRange to this sheet, so later on in my code it knew where to look.
    If I use ActiveSheet.UsedRange, it works as expected.

Knowledge Base Approver
    Honestly I can't say for sure why a sub like this works:[vba]sub randomsubname()
    activesheet.usedrange
    end sub[/vba]
    Or what it is doing.. seems to be an anomoly. As for using a worksheet variable, you could just do:[vba] Dim i As Long
    i = Wss.UsedRange.Rows.Count[/vba]and it will 'reset' the last cell the same way.

Knowledge Base Approver
    As for Simon's code, there is no "Me" references in there and it is not a worksheet/workbook event, so a standard module would be fine.

Sorry to keep hitting you from all different sides, (this is Simon's code), Where do I put this- which sheet, source or target and where is it run from?
    [VBA]
    Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
    Dim Ur As String
    Ur= Me.UsedRange.Address
    Me.Range(Ur).Name = "MyRange"
    End Sub
    [/VBA]