Consulting

Thread: Good online tutorials/Where do you learn vba from?

Good online tutorials/Where do you learn vba from?

Hi all

I'm just wondering if there are any good online resources that I can refer to when it come to writing up a vba code. With no piror training or knowledge in programming, I find it really hard to write up and debug my own code. And I feel very limited as I only know 1 or 2 statement, which I know is inadequate in writing up a good code.

So I'm addressing this to all of you guys out there. Is there any good online resources to recommend? thanks.

Moderator VBAX Wizard Aussiebear's Avatar

Click on Site Links, Training and go from there. Are you sure its vba training that you need or perhaps more of the object layer training?
    Remember To Do the Following....
    Use [Code].... [/Code] tags when posting code to the thread.
    Mark your thread as Solved if satisfied by using the Thread Tools options.
    If posting the same issue to another forum please show the link

object layer training? what's that?

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar
    The Excel object model. Some people need to learn VBA, its syntax and its constructs. Others might know this part, but not how to use it in relation to the Excel product.

Hi, cavemonkey!

I gotta say that you should have at least one good (thick) Excel reference book. I've always like the books by John Walkenbach. I can vouch for the one called "Excel 2003 Power Programming with VBA". Go to Amazon.com and search for a list of Walkenbach's books. They usually cost between $20 and $30, and worth every penny.

Another good reference for specific items is the Excel and VBA Help files. In VBA, just put your cursor over the item of interest and press F1.

And, of course, come to this forum with specific questions.

Sid

hmm...ok thanks alot. Heard from other people saying the help for excel vba is quite useful. For once microsoft help option is doing its purpose.

A list of things that have helped me:
    1)The VBA Training and Certification that VBAExpress offers.
    2)VBA for Dummies by J.Walkenbach, Not the big book- you will not need it now
    3)A short list for you to reference.

Here is a good online site/article:
    http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/vba/
    http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/vb...and%20code.htm
    http://www.angelfire.com/biz7/julian...ans_macros.htm

And on the funnier side:
    VBA is called OOP, or Object Oriented Programming.
    After studying this for a few months now, I don't think they could have come up w/ a better name for VBA, everrrrrr.
    When I am writing a piece of code and it does not work or the syntax is wrong... VBA sends me an error message stating:
    I Object!
    And then I have to rethink my (Argument) and most times I get another scolding message box- I Object....
    And so I have to turn to my co-counsel here on VBAexpress for their knowledge and assistance...
    And that is how VBA got called an OOP language....

Good luck Cavemonkey,

YLP
    Last edited by YellowLabPro; 05-29-2007 at 06:03 AM.
    my site: www.ecboardco.com
    was built w/ a majority of the assistance from the board members here... thanks VBAX.

Just because I see something, doesn't mean that what's actually happening is what I see.

You don't get from 0-90 by standing still!

Thanks for the links

Administrator
    Chat VP
    For a really good online link to get you started and answer many questions, try http://msdn.microsoft.com/archive/de...eb/FULLTOC.asp
    You know you're really in trouble when the light at the end of the tunnel turns out to be the headlight of a train hurtling towards you

The major part of getting the right answer lies in asking the right question...

Made your code more readable, use VBA tags (this automatically inserts [vba] at the start of your code, and [/vba ] at the end of your code) | Help those helping you by marking your thread solved when it is.

Thanks John.
    Is there a way to navigate from chapter to chapter automatically in the word doc. layout w/out having to go back to the folder and open each chapter individually?
    was built w/ a majority of the assistance from the board members here... thanks VBAX.

Just because I see something, doesn't mean that what's actually happening is what I see.

Administrator
    Thanks John.
    Is there a way to navigate from chapter to chapter automatically in the word doc. layout w/out having to go back to the folder and open each chapter individually?
    Sorry YLP -no
    You know you're really in trouble when the light at the end of the tunnel turns out to be the headlight of a train hurtling towards you

The major part of getting the right answer lies in asking the right question...

Made your code more readable, use VBA tags (this automatically inserts [vba] at the start of your code, and [/vba ] at the end of your code) | Help those helping you by marking your thread solved when it is.

Thanks John,
    No worries, was not sure if there was a method to do this that I was not aware of.

Thanks for sharing all that good stuff. Will come in very helpful.

One more to add for reference:
    I found this looking for info on Intellisense:
    http://www.design-drawing.com/visio/kgvbaide.htm
    Don't let the title push you off, it has some good reference material.

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar

Well, I could read the first one ... the rest ... ???
    2+2=9 ... (My Arithmetic Is Mental)

Pipe it through to your 72" widescreen TV for a small chance
    Semper in excretia sumus; solum profundum variat.