Consulting

Thread: Elseif ?

Elseif ?

I want to make sure I have correct workbook activated.
    To do this I am using a Msgbox.
    If the answer is No, then how do I tell it to stop so I can select the correct workbook?
    And if Yes then the code proceeds, and if cancel, then cancel the code?
    [vba]
    If vbNo Then
    MsgBox "HALT! You Must Activate the Correct" & Chr(10) & "Workbook For the Program to Run Correctly!", vbCritical
    ElseIf vbYes Then
    MsgBox "Procede"
    Else: MsgBox "Cancel"
    End If
    Set Wbs = ActiveWorkbook
    Set Wbt = Workbooks("Master PO.xls")
    Set Wss = Wbs.ActiveSheet
    Set Wst = Wbt.Worksheets("FF")
    [/vba]

Thanks,
    YLP
    my site: www.ecboardco.com
    was built w/ a majority of the assistance from the board members here... thanks VBAX.

Just because I see something, doesn't mean that what's actually happening is what I see.

You don't get from 0-90 by standing still!

Administrator
    VP-Knowledge Base
    [VBA]
    Sub test()
    Dim Response As Integer
    Response = MsgBox("HALT! You Must Activate the Correct" & Chr(10) _
    & "Workbook For the Program to Run Correctly!", vbYesNo + vbCritical)
    If Response = vbYes Then
    MsgBox "Proceed"
    Else
    MsgBox "Cancel"
    End If
    End Sub

[/VBA]
    MVP (Excel 2008-2010)

Post a workbook with sample data and layout if you want a quicker solution.

To help indent your macros try Smart Indent

Please remember to mark threads 'Solved'

Hi Malcolm,
    No matter what I enter w/ your code I get the Halt. What I prefer to do is, If Yes then let the code run, If No then start over at the top and force me to select another workbook, and If Cancel then do nothing, exit the sub.
    I think my code does it all except the responses don't force the correct action. Or am I dreaming.....?
    was built w/ a majority of the assistance from the board members here... thanks VBAX.

Just because I see something, doesn't mean that what's actually happening is what I see.

Oops
    I missed one line of code....
    Let me re-work this

I redid w/ your code: I missed the response line and so it acts better now. But still would like to have slightly different method...

I would like to ask first if it is the correct workbook.
    If it is, Proceed.
    If Not: Warning, Stop, pick the correct one
    Cancel: Cancel

Administrator
    VP-Knowledge Base VBAX Grand Master mdmackillop's Avatar
    How do you identify the "correct" workbook?
    MVP (Excel 2008-2010)

By answering Yes to the vbYesNoCancel

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar
    Give them a dropdown list of the books available and activate the selected one.

I don't think I can do that.
    These are workbooks coming in from different companies all the time, so adding them would be more trouble than its worth.
    The other thing too is that I have the Target sheet open and I end up on this and forget to switch back to the Source worksheet. This just helps me keep track of where I am .

Administrator
    VP-Knowledge Base VBAX Grand Master mdmackillop's Avatar
    Dim Response As Integer
    TryAgain:
    'Your code

Response = MsgBox("HALT! You Must Activate the Correct" & Chr(10) _
    & "Workbook For the Program to Run Correctly!", vbYesNoCancel + vbCritical)
    Select Case Response
    Case vbNo
    GoTo TryAgain
    Case vbCancel
    Exit Sub
    End Select
    'continue code

End Sub

[/vba]
    MVP (Excel 2008-2010)

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar
    I don't think I can do that.
    These are workbooks coming in from different companies all the time, so adding them would be more trouble than its worth.
    The other thing too is that I have the Target sheet open and I end up on this and forget to switch back to the Source worksheet. This just helps me keep track of where I am .
    Store them all in a particular directory, and then just load the dropdown from there.

Malcolm,
    Getting closer. Your code, which I edited slightly provides the warnings. But after it receives the "No" and goes to TryAgain, we need to pause the code somehow to let me select the correct sheet.
    Can you help w/ this one?

thx,

Doug

Administrator
    2nd VP-Knowledge Base VBAX Master malik641's Avatar
    I would go with Bob's suggestion on this. You could store all these workbooks into a particular directory on a server and use that list of xls files for the drop-down. I wouldn't be too hard to implement.

EDIT: You can also use that list against the active workbook to determine if your procedure will run in the first place.

New to the forum? Check out our Introductions section to get to know some of the members here. Feel free to tell us a little about yourself as well.

Why activate in the first place?

Generally it's not needed to activate/select anything, eg workbooks, worksheets etc, to work with them.

Because there is a standard source workbook that information gets copied to, a masterworkbook if you will.
    Inbetween copying data to the masterworkbook, I check on it to ensure it performed this accurately.
    The code to copy the data is working on the activesheet, rather than rely on me remembering to switch back, I am looking for a way to set a certain workbook as the source workbook. The masterworkbook is named in the code, but since the source workbooks change names every single time, it is error prone to rely on the activesheet.
    That is why....

I had to postpone work on this for a few days due to other things, Mdmackillop has been consulting me on this and I have an idea of collecting the name via an inputbox and then pass the name along to the variable... but have not had time to test...

edit:
    And Xld has provided a suggestion that I am going to try out too, which will not require switching.... but I think will be difficult to manage.... but I will see how it does work.
    Last edited by YellowLabPro; 06-01-2007 at 10:06 AM.