Consulting

Thread: Solved: User Defined Function

VBAX Contributor
    Smile Solved: User Defined Function

Hi everyone,

I’m working on a VBA function to calculate the number of days between 2 dates (eg: how many Mondays, Tuesdays, Sat & Sun, public holidays, weekends (including Sat & Sun) and public holidays.

The syntax is howmanydays(“end date”, “start date”, sw)

Sw = 0 to 9
    Sw = 0 (to calc number of the Sat & Sun
    Sw = 1 (Sun)
    Sw = 2 – 7 (Mon - Sat)
    Sw = 8 (to calc the number of public holidays
    Sw = 9 (to work out how many public holidays + Sat + Sun

Currently, the function only gives me correct answers on the number of Sat & Sun (sw = 0). If I use other numbers (1 – 9) the function gives me incorrect results.

Also, if I delete a holiday within the range (between start date and end date) the function does not refresh its calculation.

Can someone please help me find out where I went wrong?

I enclose a sample workbook for your reference. Thanks for your kind assistance.

Regards

KP
    Last edited by Digita; 06-06-2007 at 08:18 PM.

Hi Digita

There's only one little error in your code. Note the parentheses in red bold:
    [vba]ElseIf Sw = 9 And (WorksheetFunction.CountIf(Range("A2:A11"), EndDate - i) > 0 Or _
    (Weekday(EndDate - i) = 1 Or Weekday(EndDate - i) = 7)) Then[/vba]
    As you might know, IF conditions are processed in a special order. AND goes before OR. Without the parentheses I applied, your code was like this:

IF
    Sw = 9 And WorksheetFunction.CountIf(Range("A2:A11"), EndDate - i) > 0
    OR
    (Weekday(EndDate - i) = 1
    OR
    Weekday(EndDate - i) = 7
    THEN

So there were 3 ways to pass the test, instead of only 1, which resulted in more hits than expected.

Cheers,

Jimmy

Edited 8-Jun-07 by geekgirlau. Reason: insert line breaks
    -------------------------------------------------
    The more details you give, the easier it is to understand your question. Don't save the effort, tell us twice rather than not at all. The amount of info you give strongly influences the quality of answer, and also how fast you get it.

VBAX Contributor

Thanks for the magic fix. The other question I was wondering was:

If my start date is 2 Jan 07 and end date 30 Apr 07, I use this UDF to find out how many public holidays between those dates. The answer the function return is 4 which is correct. Now a hypothetical scenario, if I delete 1 public holiday entry being 6 Apr 07 from column A, the UDF does not refresh the calculation to adjust the value from 4 to 3.

Would you be able to shed some light on this?

Thanks for your help.

Regards

KP

Quote Originally Posted by Digita
    if I delete 1 public holiday entry being 6 Apr 07 from column A, the UDF does not refresh the calculation to adjust the value from 4 to 3.
    That's because UDF's are only recalculated if/when their argument ranges change. Range("A2:A11") is not passed on as an argument, it's hardcoded. You might want to add another argument to the function, then use it in the code, like this:

[vba]
    Function HowManyDays(EndDate As Date, StartDate As Date, Sw As Integer, _
    RangeOfHolidays As Range) As Integer
    'etc.
    ElseIf Sw = 8 And WorksheetFunction.CountIf(RangeOfHolidays, EndDate - i) > 0 Then
    'etc.
    [/vba] If you make this modification, you'll need to edit the formulas in the cells as well. For example, for example, formula in G4 becomes
    =howmanydays(D2,C2,2,A2:A11)

Also, I found another error. In the 3rd line of the code you use a variable called DayName which, I presume, was a previous version, and had been replaced by Sw, everywhere but here. Also, it should be checked against negative numbers. Something like this:
    [vba]If EndDate < StartDate Or Sw > 9 Or Sw < 0 Then[/vba]
    Jimmy

Edited 8-Jun-07 by geekgirlau. Reason: insert line breaks
    The more details you give, the easier it is to understand your question. Don't save the effort, tell us twice rather than not at all. The amount of info you give strongly influences the quality of answer, and also how fast you get it.

VBAX Contributor

It works perfectly. Thank you a thousand times for your superb advice and attention to details.

Best regards

KP

Quote Originally Posted by Digita
    Jimmy,

It works perfectly. Thank you a thousand times for your superb advice and attention to details.

Best regards

KP
    You are very welcome
    Please, mark the thread as solved, if you think it is.

Cheers,

Jimmy