Consulting

Thread: SUBSTITUTE FUNCTION

SUBSTITUTE FUNCTION

I'm trying to use the SUBSTITUTE excel worksheet function in VBA. I have a cell (C5) that displays text. Whenever the user types in a string that contains double quotations, I want excel to substitute the double quotes for single quotes. I put the following formula in cell C5 and it returned a circular reference error. =SUBTITUTE(C5,"""","'")

Does anyone know how to achieve this task?

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar
    You cannot put the cell in C5 and refer to C5, those two cells must be independent cells.

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber

I know this but do you know how to achieve what I'm asking. My excel form looks like this:

FirstName:C5
    Comment:C10

In the comment field, if I type "The Books", I want it to convert to 'The Books'.

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar
    Then it should work, there is no circular reference there unless C5 refers to C10.

And it is SUBSTITUTE not SUBTITUTE but I guess you know that too.

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber

Never mind. I see you're too busy being sarcastic.

It would help if you would post your workbook with an example of what you want to accomplish in the cells so folks don't have to guess. I am personally confused as to what your trying to do.
    Steve
    "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
    -Abraham Lincoln

VBAX Sage

"The Books" (really has quotes)

C10 would be

=SUBSTITUTE(C5,CHAR(34),CHAR(39))

since 34 is the ASCII value of the double quote, and 39 is the single quote

The VBA would be Chr(34) etc

Thanks to all who offered assistance with my issue. I have solved my own problem. I will try to explain what I was doing. I am appending data to an Access database. One of the fields in the access table is [Comments]. The cell that appends to the [comments] field may contain the double quotes and single quotes therefore my sql statement will produce an error.

For example, the value in cell C5 is: the name of the book is "Jumpin Jack Flash".

myComments = C5

In order for the code below to run properly, I have to find all ocurrences of the double qoutes and replace them with single quotes. So what I did was set myComments to:

[VBA]Replace(Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("c5").Value, """", "'")[/VBA]
    now c5 will generate the name of the book is 'Jumpin Jack Flash'.

[VBA]sql = "INSERT INTO tblExceptions ( FName, LName, Mid, Comments) SELECT '" & emplFname & "' AS Expr1, '" & emplLname & "' AS Expr2, '" & emplMid & "' AS Expr3, '" & mycomments & "'AS Expr4)[/VBA]

Hopefully, that was a little more clear. I have a hard time explaining what I'm trying to do sometimes. Again, thanks for all the sincere replies.