Consulting

Thread: ActiveX Listbox control Index

ActiveX Listbox control Index

Is there a way to return an interger representing the selected value row in a ActiveX embedded listbox?

I know it can be done using a forms listbox but, the activeX embedded Listbox works differently when selecting a value in a listbox Listbox.index does not return an indexed interger. The Listbox selected value returns only the selected .text / .value and not a Indexed number.

I embedded a Listbox from the contols toolbar because I wanted the Listbox to allways stay in the same position on the sheet without the overhead of writting code to position it. Values are loaded from the worksheet depending on which cell is selected. The fill values change by changing the range name for ListFillRange = RpsListBxSettings(1). I have a need to return a a Indexed Interger value.

Sub SetRpsListBox(RpsListBxSettings)
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True
    Application.ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("Rps").Activate
    Application.ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("Rps").RpsListBox.ListFillRange = RpsListBxSettings(1)
    Application.ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("Rps").RpsListBox.ColumnCount = RpsListBxSettings(2)
    Application.ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("Rps").RpsListBox.TextColumn = RpsListBxSettings(3)
    Application.ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("Rps").RpsListBox.ColumnWidths = RpsListBxSettings(4)
    End Sub

Site Admin
    Urban Myth
    VBAX Guru

Not sure how you want to accomplish this, but this may help ...

Option Explicit

Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
        Dim i As Integer, strItem As String, lngItem As Long
        For i = 0 To ListBox1.ListCount - 1
            If ListBox1.Selected(i) = True Then
                strItem = ListBox1.List(i)
                lngItem = i + 1
            End If
        Next i
        MsgBox "Item " & strItem & ", is in position " & lngItem & "."
        End
    End Sub
    I'm sure there's an easier way other than looping through the whole listbox, but it works.

MS Excel MVP VBAX Mentor Andy Pope's Avatar

You can use the ListIndex property,

Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
        With ActiveSheet.ListBox1
            MsgBox "Item " & .Value & " Index=" & .ListIndex
        End With
    End Sub
    As you appear to be filling the listbox from a range of cells you could use the LinkedCell property, which would return the selected items text, in conjunction with the MATCH() function.
    Cheers
    Andy

Thumbs up Thanks

.ListIndex was what I was looking for. I had searched thru the help files and never came across .ListIndex. I'm self taught and I've purchased books and software and still have a hard time finding the proper code to do certain task. I typed in Index in both the VBA editor and browser and never came up with .List____.

Thanks Andy & firefytrfor the help!