Consulting

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Solved: Search for Missing Module/Code?

xld-
    Sorry no luck on that front. I have a workbook- Book1.xls on my desktop w/ a module in named Module9 and the Procedure name is testk.
    I searched on the file name of .xls and testk as the string for the word or phrase in and limited it to a Desktop search....
    No luck.
    I think I have exhausted all possible variations to find a Sub via Windows search.
    Lets see what Heli turns up. But you are able to do it so.....
    my site: www.ecboardco.com
    was built w/ a majority of the assistance from the board members here... thanks VBAX.

Just because I see something, doesn't mean that what's actually happening is what I see.

You don't get from 0-90 by standing still!

I have not attempted to look for "Sub NCommon" or "Function NCommon" but just the names i.e. "NCommon" when I have opened the file in a hex editor I can see the word "NCommon" so Windows should find it.
    As I said I've used this before sucessfully and Bob says it works for him.
    2+2=9 ... (My Arithmetic Is Mental)

I've just tried it on Linux and though I had to check "look in binary files" (it didn't work without) it did work !
    Now Windows will look in Excel file to look for data contained in cells but in some time since February my Win XP will not look in the binary portion of the Excel file.
    Yella, you can search for stuff under Linux, have still yet to test Win 98.

Yella, you can search for stuff under Linux
    I do not use/have not used Linux. Will I have to get a copy of Linux, which I am assuming will be the case, to get this to work?
    And w/ Linux being an OS... I am assuming I will have to install another OS on my system? Just covering points here...
    was built w/ a majority of the assistance from the board members here... thanks VBAX.

Just because I see something, doesn't mean that what's actually happening is what I see.

If you don't have it don't bother, same is true for win98 if you don't already have mutiple operating systems installed then installing them just so you can search is a bit of overkill.
    How about something like ZTree ?

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber

Heli,
    I agree...
    I downloaded PowerGREP and playing w/ this... it may be a successful option but at $149... too much for me

What was wrong with ZTree ? http://www.ztree.com/html/ztreewin.h...FQTUlAodVGGi6w it is VERY remenicent of the old XTree which any serious DOS power user would not be without but I'm not sure it'll fit the bill.

Instead Try this :- http://www.replsoft.com/index.html it's free ! (I think)
    Edit : Sorry you can use it 15 times then you have to register it (not sure what that means, whether cash is involved ???)

I will give it a go.... I had been looking for an answer once you directed me to searching on Binary and that was a free trial download.
    I will have to research ZTree, don't know that one...
    And then Bob gave us Knoppix.... so a few more options to explore.

I will have a look at the links you posted... thanks

All this seems so unnecessary- Man on the Moon vs. The Common Cold...

cheers

Knoppix is a Linux distro ...
    UFU definately finds words in binary files, just tried it

Heli,
    Have not had the opportunity to look up the links you posted... still sorting out some code issues, but what is UFU?

They call it "Useful File Utilities"

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by unmarkedhelicopter
    Knoppix is a Linux distro ...
    I wouldn't call it a distro, more like a bootable Linux on a stick (CD/DVD). You can boot into Linux direct from the stick, no need to fully install, saved me many times.
    Last edited by Bob Phillips; 07-28-2007 at 10:48 AM.

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber

A one of the 'live CD' things, good point. I've always gone for a full install, never had aproblem, just lucky I guess.

UMH-
    The UFU worked brilliantly. I had totally forgotten about it until today. I had to find a Sub and it was literally lost. Downloaded the program, loaded it up and it found it right away....

Muchas Gracias!!!!!!!!!