Consulting

Thread: Scroll Bar/Control Toolbox/Forms

Scroll Bar/Control Toolbox/Forms

Can anyone explain to a noob like me, what is the difference between a scroll bar created using a Control Toolbox and Forms? And when to use each in a given situation? TIA

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar
    This is a general comment about forms controls as against control toolbox controls.

The forms toolbar is simplest, and is probably best integrated into Excel.

The control toolbox is harder to work with, but offers more flexibility
    (such as background colour of controls).

Another disadvantage of the Forms controls, no textbox. Either use a drawing
    bar textbox, or a controls toolbox.

Use the one you are comfortable with. Personally, I don't like controls on a
    worksheet, I prefer trapping events, or adding toolbar buttons.

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber

xld,

Thank-you for your time and prompt response. Can you give me an example on when I would WANT to use a scroll bar from either of the menus?

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar
    If you don't have a particular reason to use one, why do you ask? I don'[t do homework.

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber

Quote Originally Posted by xld
    If you don't have a particular reason to use one, why do you ask? I don'[t do homework.

No not homework. Anne can attest to that! I was just curious. Again thanks for your time.

VBAX Master
    My tuppence worth would also be that if you don't have an absolute need for functionality from the Control Toolbox controls, always use the Forms controls which are much more stable.
    You might use a scrollbar if you wanted an interactive chart with a timeline on the X axis and you wanted to be able to say scroll back and forth showing a 12 month window.
    Regards,
    Rory

Quote Originally Posted by rory
    My tuppence worth would also be that if you don't have an absolute need for functionality from the Control Toolbox controls, always use the Forms controls which are much more stable.
    You might use a scrollbar if you wanted an interactive chart with a timeline on the X axis and you wanted to be able to say scroll back and forth showing a 12 month window.
    Regards,
    Rory
    Rory,

Thank-you!