Consulting

Thread: Excel locking up when trying to delete all cell contents or select columns

Unhappy Excel locking up when trying to delete all cell contents or select columns

Hello!

I am having a very bizarre error, starting today. When I use the code cells.select or columns("x:x").select then selection.delete on certain worksheets it will cause Excel to stop responding for about 5 minutes. It's very strange because I'm running the same Macros for 6 months and have never encountered this problem. I have also checked with coworkers and the same sheet that locks me up causes them no problems.

I have no idea how to diagnose this problem, does anyone else have some idea what this might be?

Thanks for any help,

Nate

VBAX Master
    Which version of Excel? Do you have any add-ins loaded?
    Regards,
    Rory

It's Office 2003, and I'm not running any add-ins. I might have added references to the Outlook object library, but I don't think that I did. One thought I had today as a workaround would be to activate manual calculations in the VBA before deleting all cells or whole rows, but it doesn't answer the concern. Another thing: deleting the sheet can happen without flaw, but deleting the contents of the cells within locks me up. I'll check when I get back to work, maybe I added protection to the sheet inadvertantly...

n8

VBAX Master
    Are the others for whom it works using the same version of Office? Has anything changed on your machine recently?
    Does it happen if you skip the selection part - i.e. just use Columns("X:X").Delete? (I wouldn't use Cells.Delete, I'd just use Cells.Clear)
    Regards,
    Rory
    PS Any code in the worksheet events?

Hows your hard drive?
    maybe even RAM...
    I have jammed up excel quite a bit with large column data.

To answer both: Everyone here has the same version of Office, I have a Gig of RAM and 40 gigs of free HD space.

I have a feeling that I corrupted my files somehow the day before as there are a few sheets that are goofed up.

I have some things to try, let me reply later...