Consulting

Thread: VLOOKUP help

VLOOKUP help

I have 2 worksheets with one column of data on each sheet. Sheet2 is my master list and Sheet1 is my weekly sheet where I want to display "No Macth" if the entry does not match the list on Sheet2. I have attached my zip file where I attempted to accomplish this process. The list should be around 500 entries each. Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.

Site Admin
    Urban Myth
    VBAX Guru

You already have formulas in there. The one on sheet 2 is wrong, but what do you want that differs from what you have already?

Btw, change the formula on sheet 2, in A1 enter and copy down ...

=IF(COUNTIF(A1,Sheet1!A:A),"","No match")
    You had referenced Sheet2!, which only counts the same sheet, hence always a match.

I am a little confused. A1 has names in it or is that where I should put the formula and the names. Could you alter my zip file. I think I need a visual on this. Thanks a lot Zack. I have always struggled with this kind of lookup.

Site Admin
    Urban Myth
    VBAX Guru
    Well let me see if I understand this right. You are just wanting a visual check in column B of both sheets. The test is to see if the associated value in column A of each respective sheet is in column A of the other respective sheet. So sheet1 will check colA of sheet2, and vice versa. Is that right?

And btw, many apologies Austen, I should have said B1 on sheet 2 enter the formula. A1 is the names, right. Sorry.

VBAX Regular
    I think you could also use the MATCH function:

=IF(ISERROR(MATCH(A1;SHEET2!A:A;0));"No Match";"")

Also what can you do to check other data in workbooks that are not open. Right now there is a backlog of a couple of months and these files are sent to us weekly. Also, would this be something that I could accomplish in Access? This is for someone in my office and I would like to make the process as simple as possible for them because they are really computer challenged. Thanks to everyone who responds.

Site Admin
    Urban Myth
    VBAX Guru
    For files that are not open you can download/install the morefunc add-in and make use of the INDIRECT.EXT function. This works half-decent imho, I think it leaves a little to be desired, but does work. Otherwise you can just link to a cell in another workbook and when you go to Tools --> Options --> Calculations (tab), make sure your Update Remote References and Save External Link Values are checked.

As far as putting something like this in Access, I think it really depends on how much information you are looking to put in here and what you are looking to do with it. As Excel is not a 'true' database, it does not do things inherently that Access will (I do not know Access that well, and don't claim to). Me personally, I do everything in Excel.