Consulting

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Object

Object

What is an object??

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber

Knowledge Base Approver
    The King of Overkill!
    VBAX Master
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Object-...ed_programming - Everything you'll want to know

Object A particular instance of a class. The class of Dog defines all possible dogs by listing the characteristics and behaviors they can have; the object Lassie is one particular dog, with particular versions of the characteristics. A Dog has fur; Lassie has brown-and-white fur. In programmer jargon, the object Lassie is an instance of the Dog class. The set of values of the attributes of a particular object is called its state.The object consists of state and the behaviour that's defined in the object's class.
    Matt

Knowledge Base Approver
    The King of Overkill! VBAX Master
    If you're not interested in reading what an object is (defined quite explicitly and quite well on that page, as well as right above your response to me), you may want to take a class.
    Matt

Administrator
    2nd VP-Knowledge Base VBAX Master malik641's Avatar
    Thanks, but what is an object?
    Since this is so general, here is the dictionary's definition. This should be all you need based on your general question:

Quote Originally Posted by dictionary.com
    ob?ject /n. ˈɒbdʒɪkt, -dʒɛkt; v. əbˈdʒɛkt/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[n. ob-jikt, -jekt; v. uhb-jekt] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation –noun
    1.anything that is visible or tangible and is relatively stable in form.
    2.a thing, person, or matter to which thought or action is directed: an object of medical investigation.
    3.the end toward which effort or action is directed; goal; purpose: Profit is the object of business.
    4.a person or thing with reference to the impression made on the mind or the feeling or emotion elicited in an observer: an object of curiosity and pity.
    5.anything that may be apprehended intellectually: objects of thought.
    6.Optics. the thing of which a lens or mirror forms an image.
    7.Grammar. (in many languages, as English) a noun, noun phrase, or noun substitute representing by its syntactical position either the goal of the action of a verb or the goal of a preposition in a prepositional phrase, as ball in John hit the ball, Venice in He came to Venice, coin and her in He gave her a coin. Compare direct object, indirect object.
    8.Computers. any item that can be individually selected or manipulated, as a picture, data file, or piece of text.
    9.Metaphysics. something toward which a cognitive act is directed. –verb (used without object)
    10.to offer a reason or argument in opposition.
    11.to express or feel disapproval, dislike, or distaste; be averse.
    12.to refuse or attempt to refuse to permit some action, speech, etc. –verb (used with object)
    13.to state, claim, or cite in opposition; put forward in objection: Some persons objected that the proposed import duty would harm world trade.
    14.Archaic. to bring forward or adduce in opposition.
    Oh, and to mark this thread solved, click on Thread Tools --> Mark Thread Solved

New to the forum? Check out our Introductions section to get to know some of the members here. Feel free to tell us a little about yourself as well.

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar
    It's what I do when someone keeps asking dumb questions.

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber

Administrator
    It's what I do when someone keeps asking dumb questions.
    I should request to have that definition added to dictionary.com's definition of object.

New to the forum? Check out our Introductions section to get to know some of the members here. Feel free to tell us a little about yourself as well.

Administrator
    I guess I'll never know. Thanks anyway.
    Not with that attitude.

Thanks for asking, though.

Knowledge Base Approver

Though part of me thinks you may be acting stubborn for stubborns sake, if you are in fact being serious I would like to help. However you'll need to say more than just the same line over and over again.

What is it about my first post (#4 above - Link) that does not explain it for you? If you say something like "Well I understand that ___ but I just dont understand ____" we can help; however we simply cannot just inject our knowledge into your mind. We don't know what you already know and what you're having trouble grasping.
    Matt

Thanks. Basically the main problem I have is to do with the explanation of an object. What is it and what does it do?

Knowledge Base Approver
    All of this is explained (much better than I can explain) at the wikipedia link above. But perhaps you have an aversion to wikipedia. If you don't, I strongly urge you to read it, because it gives great examples.

An object is the individual run-time unit that is used as the basic building block of programs. An object is an instantiation (instance) of a class. A class is only a blueprint offering a defined functionality. That functionality is actually implemented by creating an instance of that class, in form of an object. Each object is capable of receiving messages, processing data, and sending messages to other objects. Each object can be viewed as an independent little machine or actor with a distinct role or responsibility.

In object-oriented programming (OOP), an instance of a program (i.e. a program running in a computer) is treated as a dynamic set of interacting objects. Objects in OOP extend the more general notion of objects described above to include a very specific kind of typing, which among other things allows for:

1. data members that represent the data associated with the object.
    2. methods that access the data members in predefined ways.

In the case of most objects, one can access the data members only through the method members, making it easy to guarantee that the data will always remain in a well-defined state. In almost all object oriented programming languages, a dot(.) operator is used to call a particular method/function of an object, which holds true for VBA as well.
    Matt

So there are many various states and attributes that can make up a particular being. These beings managed by the programmers own wisdom and mind within the program. With this in mind, what is an object?

Knowledge Base Approver
    With that in mind, an object would be the Particular Being (of class Being).
    Matt

So in Back to the future, the delorean, the flux capacitor, the engine, the wheels etc...What is the object?

Knowledge Base Approver
    Back to the future - project
    Delorean - collection of objects
    flux capacitor - object of class TimeTravelDevice
    engine - object of class BoxerMotor
    wheels - object of class Travel
    Matt

Thanks Matt. But I fail to see the connection between Deloreans and VBA?

Knowledge Base Approver
    There doesnt have to be one, vehicles and movies can be object oriented. Or in this case Fox oriented
    Matt