Consulting

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: toolbars

Exclamation custom buttons & menus

hi everyone

i would like to add custom buttons and menus to the toolbar in word, which i can do quite easily but i am looking for a quicker way of doing it on several machines on the same network

at the moment i am writing the code and saving it to the network then physically going round all of the machines and adding the buttons & menus on each pc

any help would be much appreciated

many thanks

I think you can put your menu and code in a word document and then save it as a template file .dot and save that file to the network and and everyone can link to it as a global template. That also helps if you wish to change it...you only have to change one file.
    Steve
    "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Site Admin
    The Princess
    Tools-->Options, File Locations tab. Make sure everyone has the same location for Workgroup templates. Store the DOT file in there.

(Hi, Steve!)
    ~Anne Troy

Exclamation Template

thanks for that

not too sure how templates work?

but we already have the word documents made up for the work we do and i would like the custom buttons and toolbars to work for each of the these word documents on each pc

sorry if i didnt explain it properly the first time, hope this helps

thanks again

Site Admin
    The Princess VBAX Guru Anne Troy's Avatar
    How templates work (or at least SOME information):
    http://www.officearticles.com/word/t...osoft_word.htm

~Anne Troy

Long time no see.
    Steve
    "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
    -Abraham Lincoln

VBAX Wizard
    northernstar, the best way is as Steve suggests. Put your stuff in a .dot file and load it as a global template.

Note that putting it in the Workgroup templates folder will not load it as a global. In fact, it does NOT have to be in the Workgroups folder. It could be anywhere, depending on your circumstances.

It could be anywhere, and loaded as global dynamically. Or, to have it load automatically, put the .dot file in the Office Startup folder.

You do not need to go round and add the buttons on each PC. How exactly are you doing that anyway? Are you changing each PC normal.dot? If so, this is not the best thing to do.

Again, put your stuff into a .dot file and either:

1. put that file into Startup on each PC; OR

2. put that file into a network folder (it does not matter where), and point to it via code (ie. load it dynamically) from each PC normal.dot.

Site Admin
    The Princess VBAX Guru Anne Troy's Avatar
    LOL. Gerry is right. Don't know what I was thinking!
    Right... he can change the Startup folder of all the PCs to go to a specific location...
    ~Anne Troy

toolbars

hi everyone

i will try and explain this problem as clearly as possible first time

here goes....

i have wrote some code to perform some simple tasks and i had then created a custom toolbar which works fine but now i would like to make this toolbar available across the network

can this be done?

thanks

toolbars

hi

i dont understand the global template and loading it dynamically or how to direct word via code to a new template

please help me

You should not start a new thread to ask the same question. Better if all the input from both directions are in the same thread.

On to your problem.

can this be done?
    Yes
    Now northstar if you really want help you must answer questions and you must try the advice given and if you don't understand you must ask questions.

The solution to your problem requires the use of a template.

not too sure how templates work?
    If you're going to work with word and solve this problem....guess what? Your going to learn a little about templates.

but we already have the word documents made up for the work we do and i would like the custom buttons and toolbars to work for each of the these word documents on each pc
    Question 1: Let's just take one of these documents and work through it. i suspect that when you see how this works that you will want to combine them all into one template.

Does the document contain the macros you want to run....can you verify for me that they are not in your normal dot. It would be nice if you would upload one of these files.

Question 2: Are the toolbar and buttons created in the document above and not in the normal.dot
    When you create your toolbar you should get the dialog box that you see at the bottom of this post and if when you create it the box says normal.dot then you are not attaching the toolbar to the open document so you must drop the box and make sure it reads the name of the file you want the toolbar in.

One way we can determine if the toolbar is attached to your document...does the toolbar show with every document you open in Word? If so then it's probably saved in your normal.dot.

After you get those problems worked out all you have to do is save the document as a template file...go to file saveas and select template.

Save it to your hard drive somewhere and then copy the .dot file you have created and put a copy of it on the network.
    Have each person set their Word startup directory for that network folder....something you will just have to do once but after that if you want to change your template file just change the one in the network folder and you're done.

To find the startup folder in word go to Tools-options-file locations. Select the line that says Startup and click the modify button at the bottom of the dialog box.
    Steve
    -Abraham Lincoln

VBAX Wizard

answer 1 - the only macros i have are in a custom toolbar, not sure what you mean when you ask if the files are in my normal.dot?? yes i would like all of the files combined into this template providing it doesnt mean rewriting ot copy them into this template (unless there is a quick way as i have hundreds of these) and they have all been made up on many different pcs

answer 2 - i have setup a custom toolbar which stays open as long as i have ticked it on the dropdown menu, but if i unclick it then open a new or existing file then it doesnt appear

hope this helps

Please attach your file. Go to post reply at the bottom left of the last post and when you get your message typed scroll down and look for manage attachments...you may have to zip it up if it too big.
    Steve
    -Abraham Lincoln

every file that we have is different and i dont have any here at the moment as i am at home and not work. can try and upload one tomorrow at some point.

i have tried to listen to all your advice and put it into practise but i am finding it very difficult as i am very new to advanced word and word vba (literall a day or two before i registered on here) and i have never used templates or any vba just ordinary word documents which have been made up by other people.

i also find that the people on here speak and give out advice as if the person is quite well up on the subject they are asking about, not sure about others but in my case this is very much NOT the case

so by creating a new template would this mean all of the existing documents will need re doing or can this be applying the template?

thanks
    Last edited by northernstar; 09-02-2007 at 10:56 PM.

template

please find attached the file i would or may like to use as a template

it doesnt have the toolbars attached to it, but i hope it helps

thanks

We will need one with the toolbars attached and the macros' included.
    Steve
    -Abraham Lincoln

will sort one out in the morning from work

how would i apply this template to hundreds of documents already setup as normal documents?

will do when i get back into work tomorrow

will i be able top apply this template to all of the existing files of already made up normal documents?

thanks

Not apply the template but yes you will be able to run the code that's in it on other documents if the code is written correctly. But you have a ways to go first...one step at a time.
    Steve
    -Abraham Lincoln