Oh well, not much point in guessing, MSFT will do what MSFT will do (how's that for an accurate forcast?).
Clear as mud

Any organization with any sense will either have employees properly trained to use VBA, etc, or will hire folkes like me who know how to DESIGN, DOCUMENT (a word disappearing from many dictionaries), and PROGRAM (not just hack).
I agree that the general trend is to jump over important aspects of developing and maintance. It seems to be the standard of owned developed solutions & application within companies.

Recently I was asked to look through an application developed by the customer themselves. When I asked my first question about documentation the staff looked at me as I was from outer space...

There are many many untrained, unofficial vba developers out there hence I think.
My experience tells me that too. Employees develop solutions to solve their problems and all of the sudden the solutions turn over to be important by the companies and when things going in the wrong direction they call for external help. Too many times I have been forced to completely rebuild solutions due to this scenario.

One reason for its existence is that is very easy to access VBA and get something done via the macro-recorder etc.

Yes, VBAX approach with certifications is a good way and I welcome any kind of developing towards a better standard, including documentation as well as comments in code

Kind regards,
Dennis