Consulting

Thread: sending SMS by VBA

sending SMS by VBA

What are the solutions available on the market to send SMS messages from any VBA application (Access, Excel or VB6) ?

Thanks

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Master Oorang's Avatar
    Not sure that is a solution I would pay for :-) For starters you can email from vba, and as a result can SMS as well. You just email phone-number@provider an viola.
    In addition there are several VERY well documented methods for SMSing via .Net Just code up whatever you need, in Visual Studio if you have it (SharpDevelop is free if you don't) and compile down to dll for reference from VBA.

But for Q&D I would just go the email route.
    Cordially,
    Aaron

Keep Our Board Clean!
    • Please Mark your thread "Solved" if you get an acceptable response (under thread tools).
    • Enclose your code in VBA tags then it will be formatted as per the VBIDE to improve readability.

Looks simple and interresting.
    I did not fully understand the meaning of

"phone-number@provider an viola"

In addition, I don't see who will pay for it.
    Not that this is very important, but I would like to know.

Thanks

There are both provider-specific and general websites available, viz http://textforfree.net/ and you can use IE or HTTP. I used to use the Cingular site a lot, but it's down since going to AT&T http://www.cingularme.com/do/

Stan

Each provider has a domain. For instance Verizon Wireless uses vtext. So if my phone number is 7775551212 then you can send a plaintext email to 7775551212@vtext.com and that user will recieve the text of the email as a SMS.
    Cordially,
    Aaron

Keep Our Board Clean!
    • Please Mark your thread "Solved" if you get an acceptable response (under thread tools).
    • Enclose your code in VBA tags then it will be formatted as per the VBIDE to improve readability.

Each provider has a domain. For instance Verizon Wireless uses vtext. So if my phone number is 7775551212 then you can send a plaintext email to 7775551212@vtext.com and that user will recieve the text of the email as a SMS.
    The major domains are included in the url I posted, but I think the OP should be clear on several points: the recipient incurs the 'cost' of the message (depending on their service plan); subscribers can opt not to receive text messages; some providers use Port 25 blocking for email text messages. Some common domains are:

sms.3rivers.net 3 River Wireless
    mobile.mycingular.com Cingular
    messaging.nextel.com Nextel
    tmomail.net T-Mobile
    vtext.com Verizon
    paging.acswireless.com ACS Wireles
    message.alltel.com Alltel
    message.alltel.com Alltel PCS
    alphanow.net AlphNow
    paging.acswireless.com Ameritech
    mobile.att.net AT& T PCS
    text.bell.ca Bell Canada
    wireless.bellsouth.com Bell South
    bellsouth.cl Bellsouth
    myboostmobile.com Boost
    mobile.celloneusa.com CellularOne
    sms.edgewireless.com Edge Wireless
    mymetropcs.com Metro PCS
    qwestmp.com Qwest
    messaging.sprintpcs.com Sprint PCS

Hi,

I am new to this forum (which is excellent) and very interested in this particular topic. I am trying to send sms from an excel workbook (vba userform) I am ok with opening the email etc. ready to send from my userform, but not sure how to send sms message from Outlook once it's opened. I want to send to 6 mobiles on the Vodafone (UK) network) I tried the following in the to field:
    mynumber@sms.vodafone.net but received an email failure to deliver notification. (the number I used was my own mobile to test it, so I know that bit was accurate).

Can anyone post an example of something that works? or suggest what I need to do to make it work?

Thanks in advance

Welcome to the board I believe you are using the wrong domain. Try the ones listed here.
    Cordially,
    Aaron

Keep Our Board Clean!

Hi Oorang,

thanks for getting back. I have now managed to email to vodafone, but it goes to the vodafone webservices. Is it possible to get it to go to a mobile phone as a text message? Sorry for all the questions

MG what country are you in? What code did you use?
    Cordially,
    Aaron

Keep Our Board Clean!

Hi I am in the UK, I didn't use code at this stage, I just tried to send it from email and put my mobile number plus '@vodafone.net' in the 'To' field. How would you do it from code?

VBAX Newbie
    That's a nice share! Well, I was on a budget so needed some affordable techniques and my cousin suggested me utilizing the app to receive and send sms to slack so that it becomes easy for the customers to get in our touch. Truly, this app was just perfect for all our needs. You can also give it a try.

VBAX Newbie
    Hii it is great to find "VB6 SMS API integration code" here in this forum. Even I believe SMSala is one of the best bulk SMS SPI provider in India