Consulting

Thread: Setting values to a whole range at once

Setting values to a whole range at once

I'm doing (more or less) the following.
    [VBA]
    For Each rn In .Range(.Cells(1, 1), .Cells(3, 1))
    rn.Value = rn.Value - 1
    Next rn
    [/VBA]

I wonder, however, if it's possible to perform such an assignment to all the range at once. I.e. - perform a drop of every cell's value by one.

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar
    Is it the number of lines of code that botehr you, or the number of iterations?

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber

VBAX Master
    Isn't this basically the same question you asked here? The answer is pretty much the same.
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

Quote Originally Posted by xld
    Is it the number of lines of code that botehr you, or the number of iterations?
    Lines of code, i guess. I was hoping for a neat way to express the almost exactly same operation on all cells in a given range. I can always go for-looping but some of the sytax of VB is so nice and humanly canonical. It makes one hope to see such solutions mroe and more.

Quote Originally Posted by rory
    Isn't this basically the same question you asked here? The answer is pretty much the same.
    Do you mean something like this?
    [vba]
    With Range("B1:B10")
    .Formula = "=A1+1"
    .Value = .Value
    End With
    [/vba]
    I think i was hoping for something even shorter code-wise. Taking your suggestion, shutting up and moving along, hehe. Thanks.

I'm always on a hunt for smoother coding lines. There should be a section with professionally written code so a newcommer could gaze in awe and learn the better sytax.