Consulting

Thread: Solved: Code execution interrupted

VBAX Regular

Solved: Code execution interrupted

Hi all!

I've encountered this extremely annoying problem last night. It's as if there was an invisible hand pressing Ctrl + Break all the time while my macro ran. For some weird reasons, the "Code execution has been interrupted" pop-up keeps appearing whenever I run my macros.

Initially, I thought it was due to errors within my code. However, I checked through the code and found nothing amiss. In fact, the macros ran along fine and achieved the desired output as long as I clicked on the "Continue" button in the pop-up.

I transferred the Excel file and ran the exact same macro on another computer and it worked fine, i.e. no irritating pop-ups. Thus, I guessed I must have messed up some settings within my copy of Excel on my computer. It'll be great if you guys can help me on this. Thanks!

It is extremely annoying, isn't it! I have been trying to find out about this for some time and I'm sorry to say I have no answers for you.

It seems as if some code or some activity triggers the situation but, once triggered it won't go away. I *think* that closing all office applications and reopening them clears it - certainly rebooting does. But, of course, whatever the trigger is, it can re-occur.

I have had it recently running Office 2007 under Vista - but once it has been triggered it can happen in app in any office version (I have 2002 and 2003 as well as 2007 on the one machine). I remember it once before on a different machine running, I think, Office 2003 under XP Pro - certainly pre-dating Vista. I think it tends to happen when Windows has been running for a few days but I am far from sure of that.

Any further information or observations you can provide would be very helpful. I remain as mystified and frustrated as you!!
    Enjoy,
    Tony

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day.
    Teach him how to fish and he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

I'm (slowly) building my own site: www.WordArticles.com

VBAX Regular
    Hi Tony,

Thanks for the reply. I did try closing all office applications and opening them again but it doesn't work. What did the trick for me was - as you suggested - a reboot. When my system boots up, the invisible hand has disappeared totally and my macros ran without those pop-ups appearing repeatedly.

Oh, by the way, the problem occured after I dropped my mouse accidentally on the floor. As I fumbled with the mouse cable, I pressed the mouse buttons a couple of times. That led to my earlier assumption that I could have messed up some settings through the random presses.

Besides those irritating pop-ups, I also noticed that the Properties windows in VBE was grayed out, as if it was disabled. However, I could still make changes, e.g. setting a command button's visibility to false or changing an option button's value to true, etc.

Anyway, now that the problem is gone, I do hope it doesn't come back again, either by chance or through my actions.

I can't say I've seen any symptoms like that - but I have a cordless mouse

If you ever do find out anything I would be very pleased to hear about it.
    Enjoy,
    Tony

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day.
    Teach him how to fish and he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

I'm (slowly) building my own site: www.WordArticles.com

Administrator
    VP-Knowledge Base
    Re Code Interrupted I came across this. Just tried it and it seems to work!
    Regards
    Malcolm

[VBA]
    Application.EnableCancelKey = xlDisabled
    [/VBA]
    MVP (Excel 2008-2010)

Post a workbook with sample data and layout if you want a quicker solution.

To help indent your macros try Smart Indent

Please remember to mark threads 'Solved'