Consulting

Thread: Nice....

Nice....

Nothing posted since 9/26.... this forum

lifeexpectancy = NIL

too bad... excellent concept Stan

It's fairly advanced for most visitors here....will be a select group probably who want to learn and most of what you are sharing is for the more advanced in the group...
    Steve
    "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
    -Abraham Lincoln

VBAX Tutor
    Yes this is an excellent concept

Quote Originally Posted by stanl
    Nothing posted since 9/26.... this forum

lifeexpectancy = NIL

too bad... excellent concept Stan
    No need for head banging. I think given time this forum will be beneficial to many. Hang in there.

I don't program for a living this is just a nasty hobby!
    "Intellectual passion occurs at the intersection of fact and implication."

SGB

Hi Stan,
    It's fairly advanced for most visitors here
    My Bad. Most posters, like yourself have Guru, Expert, SuperCoder...etc attached- I'm ex-military, we go by rank

Administrator
    2nd VP-Knowledge Base
    I don't know, Stan. Hardly over 1 month and already there are 19 threads (excluding this one). 6 of those started by you. Not bad for an Office VBA website where most users probably hardly use SQL with their office apps.

Give it time. It will develop on its own. As long as people like us are here to give solutions.

Maybe we should make some threads that show some very basic and useful techniques on how to use SQL to collect and manipulate data with their office apps. Just to get some of the novice SQL'ers to play with it a little.

New to the forum? Check out our Introductions section to get to know some of the members here. Feel free to tell us a little about yourself as well.

Steve
    "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Administrator
    2nd VP-Knowledge Base VBAX Master malik641's Avatar
    Thanks Steve, I'll see what I can come up with by the weekend. Anybody else is welcome to to post some novice stuff!

New to the forum? Check out our Introductions section to get to know some of the members here. Feel free to tell us a little about yourself as well.

I would suggest that you make really excellent threads sticky...like the "Cracking the ice" thread which has so much beginner info...just a thought. You may have a better idea.
    Steve
    -Abraham Lincoln

Just wanted to say I have become a quiet admirer of this thread. It's a bit intimidating to me because I only understand it, up to a point, then it feels completely alien to me.
    Office 2010, Windows 7
    goal: to learn the most efficient way

Anybody else is welcome to to post some novice stuff!
    Here is a thought, albeit I'll probably get diss'd for it. Take a simple DELETE query. Assume you have a master table [in Access or SQL Server or Oracle....] and import data from a workbook into a temp table that has a similar structure. Both tables have a common field that is unique [may or may not be a primary key]....

So, before appending the temp table to the master table you want to DELETE all rows in the temp table where the common field already exists in the master table?

Easy enough to map out as an Access query using the GUI, but if you examine the SQL code you will notice Access uses an INNER JOIN syntax with more parentheses than persons trying to cross the Mexican border.

Assuming [again] you would use ADO and code the SQL, you would want something like

DELETE * from [temp] WHERE [expresion] in [Master] - because that is simple and logical

and an opportunity to introduce the Novice/Newbie/LazyAss who wants someone to do it for them to SubSelects.

.02 Stan

My Bad. Most posters, like yourself have Guru, Expert, SuperCoder...etc attached- I'm ex-military, we go by rank
    I was a dependent for 20 years (well at least till I turned 18). There is nothing lower in rank than a dependent.

Access uses an INNER JOIN syntax with more parentheses than persons trying to cross the Mexican border.
    I knew there were a lot trying to get accross, but if it's THAT many maybe we should remove the join?

Ranks are strictly honorary here as my status will attest...
    Steve
    -Abraham Lincoln

state of confusion, but vacation in denial
    Yeah, it is a niche, and there are a lot of db forums and SQLteam.com and such to be SQL Server specific.

Once people realize the compatibility and ease of use with connecting excel/access etc to the server data, people may have more endearing questions regarding either basic syntax, database design or application development.

Many many people develop complex apps in C# and such which use SQL server express or an exchange server. Knowledge of SQL passes through easily. There are some redundancies in VBAX with Access forum, as most that run into SQL syntax issues in Access will post in that forum.

Give it time, post counts will rise in here.
    If you have posted the same question at multiple forums, please read this IMPORTANT INFO.

Please use the thread tools to mark your thread Solved

Please review the Knowledge Base
    for samples and solutions , or to submit your own!

There is nothing lower in rank than a dependent.
    Tommy, you need to come work for the company I do.... I need to use a super 6400 Binford "Beam me up Scotty" function, just to see the daylight, let alone the tracks where management work.

Ted
    Remember To Do the Following....
    Use [Code].... [/Code] tags when posting code to the thread.
    Mark your thread as Solved if satisfied by using the Thread Tools options.
    If posting the same issue to another forum please show the link

30 years experience in the bussiness and still......

My God.... I'm more recognised than I thought

The next time you feel a bit under the weather, e-mail this file to your supervisor to get noticed. No thanks necessary, feel free to distribute without any credit.

Regards,
    Brandtrock

state of confusion, but vacation in denial
    I would have been a little more creative with that one!

Perhaps
    [vba]
    Sub foo()
    Dim x
    Again:

x= Msgbox ("Excel has determined that the user has insufficent equipment, is your equipment insufficient?",vbYesNo)
    If x = vbNo then Goto Again

Msgbox "Thought so"
    End Sub
    [/vba]
    If you have posted the same question at multiple forums, please read this IMPORTANT INFO.

Please use the thread tools to mark your thread Solved

Please review the Knowledge Base
    for samples and solutions , or to submit your own!

Nice addition. My example was by no means intended to be the final word on the subject, more of a template for those who feel underappreciated.
    Brandtrock

Right now I'm not going to push anybody's buttons. Sunday Night ( Eastern Australian time) we had a fire in one of the many Haystacks. Over $50,000 dollars of hay went up in smoke.... and right now they ( Head Office ) are looking to hang someone out to dry.

Good thing I double test every bale and record the moisture contents, but its a shame I didn't record some of the private conversations I had with management re: "You need to be more flexible with the rejection limit Ted, because of the drought we can't afford to be too picky..." Talk about a get out of jail card!!!