Consulting

Thread: Solved: Searching for multiple values within cell

VBAX Regular

Solved: Searching for multiple values within cell

Hi all,

I've have this complex problem here (or so I think) and I'd appreciate if anyone can help. It's gonna be a long explanation, so please bear with me.

I've got 1 column worth of data and each cell contains multiple values seperated by commas. Depending on what the cell contains, I'll need to return a value to the next column.

For illustration's sake, I have 10 rows in Column A, each cell (apart from the header row) has a combination of the following: Chicken, Apples, Duck, Pies, Cakes, Fish, Beef. In column B, the corresponding row will return values based on the following criteria:
    Beef, Chicken, Duck, Fish = Meat present. In other words, if any cells in Column A has any of the meat items, the corresponding cell in Column B would show "Meat present".

So, for instance, if Range("A2") has the string "Cakes, Chicken, Pies", Range("B2") should show "Meat present", since "Chicken" is there. On the other hand, if the value in Range("A2") is "Pies, Apples", then Range("B2") should show "No meat", since none of the meat items are found. Note that there is no specific arrangement of the values in Column A, i.e. 1 cell may show "Cakes, Chicken, Pies", while another may show "Chicken, Pies, Cakes"; both should show the same value in Column B.

For a human to do this job, it's intuitively simple: just check the cell for any meat items and return the appropriate value. However, the sheer number of rows in my actual worksheet makes it tedious for human effort and I want to automate this.

Any suggestions on how I should go about approaching this problem? I'd be grateful for any ideas or solutions. Thanks!

=if(find("Beef",A2)+find("Chicken",A2)+find("Duck",A2)+find("Fish",A2)>0,"M eat Present","No Meat")

I don't understand why there is a space in "Meat Present" cos I've checked twice, there's not ! ...
    2+2=9 ... (My Arithmetic Is Mental)

VBAX Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by unmarkedhelicopter
    =if(find("Beef",A2)+find("Chicken",A2)+find("Duck",A2)+find("Fish",A2)>0,"M eat Present","No Meat")

I don't understand why there is a space in "Meat Present" cos I've checked twice, there's not ! ...
    Thanks for the reply! I tried it out and it returned me a "#VALUE!" error. It turns out that if the first value - in this case, Beef - is not found, a #VALUE! error is returned. Subsequently, even if there are any found values, it'll still return a #VALUE! error.

What I'm doing for the time being is this:

[vba] With ActiveSheet
    For Counter = 2 To 10

TextLength = Len(.Cells(Counter, 1).Value)

For TextCounter = 1 To TextLength
    If Mid(.Cells(Counter, 1).Value, TextCounter, 1) = "B" Then
    .Cells(Counter, 2).Value = "Meat present"
    ElseIf Mid(.Cells(Counter, 1).Value, TextCounter, 1) = "C" Then
    If Mid(.Cells(Counter, 1).Value, TextCounter + 1, 1) = "h" Then
    .Cells(Counter, 2).Value = "Meat present"
    End If
    '
    '
    '
    '
    'So forth
    Next TextCounter
    Next Counter
    End With
    [/vba]
    What it does basically is to search for a 1st letter of a particular word and then returns the value accordingly. It gets the job done but the number of nested If..Else statements are numerous and complex, as there are many words that begins the same way for my real data set.

Hence, I'm looking to see if there's a simpler way to achieve the same outcome.

VBAX Master
    Try this one : [VBA]Sub To_Meat_Or_Not_To_Meat()
    Dim cell As Range
    Dim rng As Range
    Dim vMeat As Boolean
    Dim vMenu As Variant
    Dim vLoop As Long
    Set rng = Range("A2:A" & Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row)
    For Each cell In rng
    vMeat = False
    vMenu = Split(cell, ",")
    For vLoop = LBound(vMenu) To UBound(vMenu)
    Select Case Trim(vMenu(vLoop))
    Case "Beef", "Chicken", "Duck", "Fish"
    vMeat = True
    cell.Offset(, 1).Value = "Meat"
    Exit For
    End Select
    Next vLoop
    If vMeat = False Then cell.Offset(, 1) = "No Meat"
    Next cell
    End Sub[/VBA]

Administrator
    Chat VP
    '
    Option Compare Text
    '
    Sub CheckForMeat()
    '
    Dim Cell As Range
    '
    For Each Cell In Range("A1", Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp))
    If Cell Like "*beef*" Or Cell Like "*chicken*" Or Cell Like "*duck*" Or Cell Like "*fish*" Then
    Cell.Offset(0, 1) = "Meat present"
    Else
    Cell.Offset(0, 1) = "No Meat"
    End If
    Next
    End Sub[/VBA]
    You know you're really in trouble when the light at the end of the tunnel turns out to be the headlight of a train hurtling towards you

The major part of getting the right answer lies in asking the right question...

Made your code more readable, use VBA tags (this automatically inserts [vba] at the start of your code, and [/vba ] at the end of your code) | Help those helping you by marking your thread solved when it is.

Bugger, I keep writting formulae without trying them out first, well I hate to go against tradition :-
    if(if(iserror(find("Beef",A2)),0,1)+if(iserror(find("Chicken",A2)),0,1)+if(iserror(find("Duck",A2)),0,1)+if(iserror(find("Fish",A2)),0,1)>0,"Meat Present","No Meat")
    This should be quicker than a UDF, does not need updating like a sub and you don't have to have macros running.
    Though it does need "Beef, Chicken, Duck & Fish" to be written PROPER (i.e. Capital first letter only) though we can get round that if it's a problem.

Why oh why does FIND not return a zero if not found ??????

Administrator
    VP-Knowledge Base VBAX Grand Master mdmackillop's Avatar
    Though it does need "Beef, Chicken, Duck & Fish" to be written PROPER (i.e. Capital first letter only) though we can get round that if it's a problem.
    How about Search, it's not case sensitive.
    MVP (Excel 2008-2010)

Post a workbook with sample data and layout if you want a quicker solution.

To help indent your macros try Smart Indent

Please remember to mark threads 'Solved'

You could try using mdmackillop suggestion.

Example:

=IF(ISERROR(SEARCH("Chicken",A2)),"No meat","Meat present")

Or for multiple searches.

=IF(COUNT(SEARCH({"Chicken","Beef","Fish"},A2)),"Meat present","No meat")
    Last edited by Shazam; 10-11-2007 at 08:08 PM.
    SHAZAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Shazam
    You could try using mdmackillop suggestion.

Example:

=IF(ISERROR(SEARCH("Chicken",A2)),"No meat","Meat present")

Or for multiple searches.

=IF(COUNT(SEARCH({"Chicken","Beef","Fish"},A2)),"Meat present","No meat")
    I'll buy one of these please

VBAX Regular
    Thanks for all the replies so far! I wished I could reply earlier but I was out of office for the past few days and couldn't try out the solutions that you guys provided.

I've tried out Charlize's code and it works like a charm. I've also tried out the code suggested by johnske but it always returned me the first condition, i.e. "Meat present".

As for the formula-based solutions, I gave them a shot and they worked too. I've amended my code and currently using the following:

[vba]With ActiveSheet
    RowCount = .Cells(1, 1).End(xlDown).Row
    Set Activerg = .Range(Cells(2, 2), Cells(RowCount, 2))
    Activerg.FormulaR1C1 = "=IF(COUNT(SEARCH({""beef"",""duck"",""chicken"",""fish""},RC[-1])),
    _""Meat present"", ""No meat"")"
    End with[/vba]
    The formula is a lot longer in my actual code, since there are 9 conditions that needs to be checked but everything works out smoothly anyway.

Once again, thanks for the suggestions!