Consulting

Thread: G'Day from another Aussie.

VBAX Regular
    Smile G'Day from another Aussie.

G'Day to all.

My name is Peter Taylor and I am still living in a very interesting life in South-East of Melbourne, Victoria and <singing> Still call Australia, HOME!!!!

I suffered nerve deafness when I was ten months old so I learnt to wear hearing aids from the late 70's onwards. Talk about selective hearing when it works sometimes. My left ear is more deafer than my right.

Then 2 years ago I tried out the cochlear ear implant technology here in Melbourne (comes in two parts, the internal part is inserted by surgery into the inner ear and the external transmits the power from two AA's batteries with a signal representing sound from the outside environment).

For a while I had to re-learn the sound and what it meant to me. Then later the amount of power I need to hear couldn't be done. So guess what, I'm going digital. There is a digital component now on the cochlear market which wait for it... is backward capable for the internal software component I have for my thick skull (the audiologist words not mine!)

Anyway, this can explain why my fingers do alot of talking than my mouth saying it.

Back to the VBA topic, I learnt basic and advanced programming at TAFE as I didn't make the grade in Year 11 to UNI so I did a bridging course into Business Programming. This was done in the days where VAX mainframe machines is the mainframe and several old formatted Windows 3.1 Personal Computers. Internet was just an idea. Floppy disks are like conversations to the computer instead of USB ports. The database was DBASE+, Btrieve was the indexes we used and the financal program wasn't a popular treat then. WordPerfect was a good wordprocessor tool.

Mind you, I still like Amstrad CPC 8-bit computers games those days.

Then I got into University to learn more on what was covered in TAFE. I learned Visual Basic v5. This generated my interest in VBA at that time and slowly got more involved.

Then after Uni I got a job working with a telecommunication company called Telstra who I used my COBOL programming helping other people who do the programming. So I didn't do alot of programming but certainly helping other people.

Then the whole IT department was outsourced, so I joined an Amerian company who managed my role doing the same thing. Then few years later, outsourced internationally to India so I trained two Indian people here in Australia and they took my job with them and said good bye.

After that happened, my mother was diagnosed with breast, bone, liver cancer and passed away in a few months later. I took the role of being a carer for her while my father continued working to bring in the money.

This has motivated me to do caring for the people so I was lucky to find a job working in an Hospital that uses databases and Excel which I can use my VBA skills.

I'm engaged to be married for next year and good news she isn't deaf.

Thanks for listening,
    Peter.

P.S. I took the name Psionic from the days when role-playing Dungeon and Dragons game was around then. As I like to think about things and all things of the mind and body.

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar

I'm the long suffering wife of a regular here (a chap who answers questions for free!). I too am partially deaf (80% loss on the left and 50% loss on the right). Luckily for me, this happened as a result of Menieres Disease setting in when I was 30. I say lucky, as I had the first 30 years of life with a full set of ears! I get tinnitus an awful lot - and that makes hearing even more difficult. My husband is very good with me tho - it involves him being very patient with me and constantly repeating things. There are times when you just feel like not trying any more - as it's trying for the speaker and the listener isnt it?

I think you've done really well in getting into the comp. business. communicating is made so much easier this way! I too work in the caring services - for the NHS here in the UK. Perhaps it's knowing how much we need the service that makes us want to help them back!?

Anyway, congrats on your engagement and I know you'll have a wonderful life together!

Lynne
    Last edited by Bob Phillips; 10-16-2007 at 07:22 AM.

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber

Welcome to the Forum Peter, for a Victorian, you aren't so bad, in fact I'm more than happy to bestow upon you an honorary title of part time Queenslander. ( Only useful on days not ending in a y, but you never know when that could happen).

Ted
    Remember To Do the Following....
    Use [Code].... [/Code] tags when posting code to the thread.
    Mark your thread as Solved if satisfied by using the Thread Tools options.
    If posting the same issue to another forum please show the link

Nice to hear from you. Whilst we might be stealing Bob away from you for hours at a time, let me re-assure you that his effort here is highly valued.

Thank you for putting up with this.

Ted

Administrator
    2nd VP-Knowledge Base
    Hey Lynne,

Nice to hear from you. Whilst we might be stealing Bob away from you for hours at a time, let me re-assure you that his effort here is highly valued.
    I'd like to second that.

Welcome to the forum Peter
    Very interesting story, thanks for sharing. I hope you find this site useful In the very least, you'll find this site to be very friendly.

Welcome aboard and good luck!

New to the forum? Check out our Introductions section to get to know some of the members here. Feel free to tell us a little about yourself as well.

VBAX Regular
    Yep, I note very well that this website is very user-friendly, the world is a wonderful place.

Just as an after thought, is there a compliant procedure should one member in the forums wanted a resolution if there is a disagreement with one or another and is this information easily provided at any time.

I brought this up as I noticed a complaint rather is a battle of egos regarding some information.

We do battle with Bob, over his one eyed wobbly anti Aussie stance in "Rugby", but other than that serious flaw in his character, he's a fountain of knowledge and helpfulness.

But don't tell him that cause his ego will inflate once again.....

Now come on Ted, you know I love the Aussies. Any team that regulalrly offers themselves up for us to slaughter has to be loved.

Now if you are talking Springboks, it is difficult to like them, let alone love ... Whilst I do not expect it, a win against them tomorrow would be great (but then, I didn't expect us to beat France, but look what nerves can do to you).

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber

A guy walks into a bar with a dog.

The barkeep says "Sorry mate, no dogs allowed in here".

The old guy says" This dog and I go everywhere, I love to have a drink and he loves to watch Rugby"

The barkeep looks around and say "Okay since there's not too many peolpe in here right now, I'll turn a blind eye to the dog, but if he misbehaves...... you and the dog are out of here, okay"

Sure says the old man. He orders a rum... and the dog sits beside him. The Barkeep turns on the telly and lo and behold its a rubgy game. England are playing...... the dog pricks up his ears... it seems to all around him that he is following every move on the screen...

On the screen, a scrum packs..... suddenly a head pops up from the pack and an english voce says something to the Ref..... Bingo, a penalty is awarded to the English..... The crowd are besides themselves..... many a call is heard that the Ref needs glasses...

England's hero, a mere mortal Jonny Wilkonson takes the ball in hand. He sets it upon the ground, paces back..... and holds a position that can only be described as assuming to position to recieve a pineapple.....after reciting the Magna Carta in Spanish..... he steps forward and calmly slots the ball between the posts.....

Meanwhile in the bar the dog goes hypo.... He jumps on the bar and dances his way down the top..... high fiving everyone in the bar.... They are all gob smacked.

The barkeep turns to the old man and says "This is fantastic..... unbelievable..... Your dog as just high fived everyone in the bar. if he does this for a penalty conversion..... what's he do when a try is scored?"

Dunno says the old man, I've had him for four years and Its never happened yet......

He obviously didn't watch the France match.

Abusus non tollit usum

James Thurber

Oh come on Bob...even you must have got a chuckle out of that