Consulting

Thread: Solved: More scanning help

Solved: More scanning help

Hello.
    In a previous post I was trying to use VLOOKUP to scan for a particular exact value in a column and someone here helped me out. Their solutions worked very nicely.
    Now I am trying to do the same thing but for an apporximate value, not an exact value.
    The attached excel file should explain exactly what I am trying to do
    thank you in advance folks!

Hi

I guess you want it with formulas only? If so, see the attached solution. Of course, there might be a better way, and with VBA it would be less complicated.

Jimmy
    -------------------------------------------------
    The more details you give, the easier it is to understand your question. Don't save the effort, tell us twice rather than not at all. The amount of info you give strongly influences the quality of answer, and also how fast you get it.

thank you!!
    now i have to go understand the offset and match functions well enough to actually do this for my data set.

You are welcome.
    Please keep in mind that cells I2 and I3 contain Array Formulas. You may want to learn about them first. Two links:
    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/ArrayFormulas.aspx
    http://www.ozgrid.com/Excel/arrays.htm

If you need more help, just ask. If not, please mark the thread solved.

Jimmy
    The more details you give, the easier it is to understand your question. Don't save the effort, tell us twice rather than not at all. The amount of info you give strongly influences the quality of answer, and also how fast you get it.

We had a PM-exchange with blumfeld0, and I decided to post his questions and my answers, because
    • they may help others
    • I want to upload a file, which I can't do in PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by blumfeld0
    1. is there anyway at all to move the contens of column J
    810 820 830 etc. to Cell J2, J3, J4 (or K2,K3, K4 etc.)
    because right now they are in cell J7, J8 etc.

2. the limits indicated were -10 and 10
    and that gave values of 810 to 910 in column J
    but what I really need is 800 to 920 (10 units before 810 and 10 units after 920)
    so you might not say why not change the lmits to -8 to 8 instead of -10 to 10?
    this is because for my next data set
    it might be something different maybe -9 to 9 or -7 to 7 or -5 to 5
    i dont want to manually change that because i would have to do that literally thousands of times.
    is there any way to excel
    "hey give me the number in column B that corresponds to the number right above -10 and below 10 in column A"
    or "hey excel i need the limits to be the rounded whole number right above -10 and below 10"
    #1.
    Yes, there is a way, see the attachment. I made a small twist on formulas in column J, and now the returned values are on top. But the formula gives errors for not found values. I could have built an error-checking in, but then the formuly would have been very long and ugly. So I did the error-checking in column K. Note that formulas in column J are now, too, array formulas.

#2.
    I'm not sure I get what you need, but I interpreted it as:
    - look for the value closest to -10 in column A
    - get the value in the same row, in column B
    - step up one cell (this will be the lower limit)
    - look for the value closest to +10 in column A
    - get the value in the same row, in column B
    - step down one cell (this will be the upper limit)
    - display all values between the limits

To achieve this, I needed only to put a -1 at the end of formula in cell I2, and a +1 at the end of formula in cell I3.

Jimmy
    Last edited by JimmyTheHand; 11-15-2007 at 02:30 PM.